Grainfather vs pub vs shop costs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I was bored on a conference call and the other grainfather thread got me thinking about relative costs. So to see where a GF pays for itself vs buying beer in the pub or shop I put together a chart.

Now I'm **** with Excel and couldn't fathom how to label the axis but the vertical axis is total spend in £.

The horizontal axis shows total no. of pints.

I've assumed:
£3.50 a pint in the pub
£1.50 a bottle in the shop. (I'm ignoring the size difference between a 500ml bottle and a pint.)
£600 for GF
£15 per brew on ingredients (haven't factored in utilities, give me a break)

What it shows is the GF pays for itself after roughly:
180 pints vs pub (so 5 full length brews)
520 pints vs shop (so 13 full length brews)

If anyone can be bothered to give me their equipment set up costs I can add them in.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 16.25.00.jpg

Ha ha love it. You obviously enjoy your work!

I wish I paid £3.50 a pint!!

Nice one, and like AJT above says, £3.50 a pint in a pub is good round here!! How much difference would it make it at £4 a pint?

Jas

Great thinking GHW..mind you a good pint in Sussex costs about #4.40 and London...well that depends upon how deep you're pockets are.
Good work tho, and will bear in mind. Thanks

Nice one, and like AJT above says, ��£3.50 a pint in a pub is good round here!! How much difference would it make it at ��£4 a pint?

Jas

�£4 a pint in pub brings the figure back to 160 pints break even for GF.

This is fun!

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.12.03.jpg

Hbc biab starter kit £108 (has it gone up?)
Call it £115 with the hop filter (maybe £100 as it comes with a kit).

Will need to swap something similar to "test" if the grain father is better.

I do like a bit of Excel work. Interesting chart, would you be able to share the workbook? If it's alright with you, I'd like to use it as a model to see how my own costs compare.

Was in a pub in Goodge St (that's central London) and got a can of Fourpure Pils, Beavertown Neck Oil & Gamma Ray, £5.30 per can. that's the going rate in London pubs for craft beer.

Happy to share the workbook if anyone wants it, send me a pm with email address.

I also did a cost per pint analysis to see how quickly it goes down but haven't charted that. The data is all in there though.

It doesn't work out well for the GF - after 800 pints, including setup and ingredients you are only at 77p per pint!

Happy to share the workbook if anyone wants it, send me a pm with email address.

I also did a cost per pint analysis to see how quickly it goes down but haven't charted that. The data is all in there though.

It doesn't work out well for the GF - after 800 pints, including setup and ingredients you are only at 77p per pint!

Cost per pint for GF over no. of pints made. Using same metrics as 1st chart, ��£15 per brew on ingredients.

�£16 a pint for the first 40!

now also with Biab starter kit. V cheap!

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.49.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.57.24.png

I do like a bit of Excel work. Interesting chart, would you be able to share the workbook? If it's alright with you, I'd like to use it as a model to see how my own costs compare.

Was in a pub in Goodge St (that's central London) and got a can of Fourpure Pils, Beavertown Neck Oil & Gamma Ray, �£5.30 per can. that's the going rate in London pubs for craft beer.
American Express..that willdo:whistle: nicely thanks.

Love living in the north east, can get a pint of cask for <£3 and Stella for <£3.50.

Remember there is a resale value of the GF. Maybe depreciate over 3 years? Then there's the time cost saving (value of time) and the non monetary costs one attaches to enjoyment of their hobbie.

Put your mortgage in versus living in a tent and you'll get something similar. Some value the luxury despite the end result being possibly the same (ie a nights kip)

Remember there is a resale value of the GF. Maybe depreciate over 3 years? Then there's the time cost saving (value of time) and the non monetary costs one attaches to enjoyment of their hobbie.

Put your mortgage in versus living in a tent and you'll get something similar. Some value the luxury despite the end result being possibly the same (ie a nights kip)
Ah.. I see you are an accountant Stu
Lets keep this (semi) real

That's easy I just adjust the cost of the gf purchase. Unless you want to show its value depreciate Over time, against a certain brewing frequency...

In which case you can bugger off!

Latest posts

Back