What would you suggest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
I'd been talking to our kid the other day and he had one too many Mr President and ordered a random selection of ingredients for me to use - I was planning on making something with Vienna and Hersbrucker this Friday and then doing Clibit's Brown Ale the week after that but looks like I might try to squeeze another in this Saturday.

Here's what I'll have available, any suggestions of what to make as a 1 gallon brew?

Maris Otter 500g
Vienna 400g
Weyemann Pale Ale 1kg
Caramunich I 800g

East Kent Goldings 6.5%
Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.1%
Ahtanum 4.5%
Equinox 15.6%
Warrior 14.1%

S-04
Mangrove Jack M10 Workhorse

It can be simple and use just a couple of things or more complicated than that but any decent suggestions would be taken on board.

Friday night's plan is (off the top of my head, can't find my scrap of paper):

600g Vienna
200g caramunich
with
10g Hersbrucker at 60 mins
5g Hersbrucker at 15
5g hersrucker at 0

Or Warrior to bitter with late additions of Ahtanum and EKG for a transatlantic pale?

Should only use vianna up to 70-80%. It's limited on how many enzymes it can produce.
NotLaws looks good. He put the warrior for bittering which is a great call and the a mix of others for flavor. If it was me, I wouldn't do the 10 min. I would dry hop or throw them in when the wort hits less than 80 degrees.

Should only use vianna up to 70-80%. It's limited on how many enzymes it can produce.
NotLaws looks good. He put the warrior for bittering which is a great call and the a mix of others for flavor. If it was me, I wouldn't do the 10 min. I would dry hop or throw them in when the wort hits less than 80 degrees.

There was a discussion on how much vienna you can use in a thread yeasterday http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62917&highlight=vienna&page=9. Chub1 posted a link to weyermann, who say you can use (at least theirs anyway) vienna up 100%. I made a Vienna (pseudo) lager with 87% on the weekend. I've never used that much vienna before, so we'll see how it goes

Cheers lads, I'll look at having a go at Notlaw's suggestion on Saturday after I've crushed the uncrushed grains our kid ordered without realising there was a difference.

Cheers lads, I'll look at having a go at Notlaw's suggestion on Saturday after I've crushed the uncrushed grains our kid ordered without realising there was a difference.

Keep us posted how the brewday goes and how the beer turns out.

Great. Don't get me wrong, I love vianna. Might be fun to do the exact same but the other with MO or a Pilsner malt and gauge the conversion.
Keep us posted.

Great. Don't get me wrong, I love vianna. Might be fun to do the exact same but the other with MO or a Pilsner malt and gauge the conversion.
Keep us posted.

That would be interesting. Prompted by this discussion I did a bit of background reading. Aparently Vienna is high diastic power whereas Munich whilst very similar is low so doesn't make a good base malt

That would be interesting. Prompted by this discussion I did a bit of background reading. Aparently Vienna is high diastic power whereas Munich whilst very similar is low so doesn't make a good base malt

I did the same research a month or two ago too. I think I mentioned it on here in some post or other, but I've no idea what the thread was about.... Beer perhaps.

For a more European beer I'd go for 400 Vienna, 600 pale, 30g caramunich, bitter with goldings to about 22 ibu and finish with hallertauer with 20 mins left aiming for another 2 IBUs. Use a neutral yeast.

Weyermann Munich 1 converts fine by itself. I used only that and caramunich in my last brew and got the same efficiency as I usually get. It's a great tasting malt. Darker Munich might not convert as well though.

Latest posts

Back