Advice on a few kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
Hi

just got my hands on a Bulldog Bad Cat, Festival Razorback IPA and Festival US Steam kit. Ive brewed quite a few kits already, lots of coopers and a few youngs APA and IPA kits. I usually tamper with the coopers kits with extra DME and hops, but wondered if anyone has mucked about with any of the above?

The Bad cat comes out pretty strong. I usually brew short for better ABV and mouth feel, but I'm thinking of brewing this one with an extra litre of water to drop the ABV a little, is this the wrong way to go? i know its a strong kit and i should have thought about this when buying, but i bought because i love the included hops and have not seen many imperial red kits about.

the Razorback I'm just going to brew as is, as the reviews i have read are pretty good, so doesn't sound like i need to add anything. I always like to brew to instructions first go anyway to see what its like without tampering.

With the US steam beer, I'm not 100% sure if this is a larger strain of yeast similar to european ones. Ideally i would like to brew at a larger temp (13 degrees) but not sure if this yeast can handle temps that low. anyone got any advice on this?

cheers

With the US steam beer, I'm not 100% sure if this is a larger strain of yeast similar to european ones. Ideally i would like to brew at a larger temp (13 degrees) but not sure if this yeast can handle temps that low. anyone got any advice on this?

It's called a Steam Beer because it is brewed with a lager yeast as a higher temperature than would normally be used for a lager yeast. By doing so it imparts a different flavour into the beer. Therefore I'd brew it at ale temperatures (i.e. 20 degrees) unless the instructions say otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

Agree with Graz re the Steam Beer
Raz- back.. just do it as per instructions
The Bad cat may withstand some tweaking if you want to play around

cheers guys..... should have maybe done a quick googling before asking. Works out well as my brew fridge is taken up with a euro larger at the moment, so i can stick the steam beer in the kitchen to brew.

Latest posts

Back