Bank Hol Brew#1 : Vienna thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
Mash has been on about 20 minutes, having a go at:

800g Vienna
200g Caramunich I
10g Hersbrucker @ 60
5g Hersbrucker @ 45
5g Hersbrucker @15
Irish moss @ 15
5g Hersbrucker @ 0

The calculator said:
OG 1.054
FG 1.014
ABV 5.3%

I will try to actually get an OG this week because I had that much stuff in the sample last week I might as well have been measuring treacle.

On the subject of calculators/recipe things is there a lot of inconsistency across them? Is there one that is more reliable than the others or is it a case of picking one and sticking with it and being consistent by using the same one every time?

Few notes in case I ever want to do the same again.

Used more sparge water to get a boil of 5l. Had what I thought was a better boil going and topped up the DJ with a bit of water because looked a bit low. OG looked high at about 1.064 ish but have my doubts about the sample again so need to look into that. Pitched MJ Workhorse at around 17, and overpitched the full 10g packet - no good reason for doing this, rush of blood after a moment's doubt over using only 5g.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question to you, but when you take a gravity reading, do you make sure the sample is at the temp calibrated to your hydrometer? Or do you get it within a reasonable temp and use a correction calculator?

I have noticed discrepancies between recipe calculators. Sometimes it's slight , other times non existent and sometimes quite big. I store my recipes on brewtoad so I use that, but the fg it gives me has always been way off. It doesn't take into account mash temps. OGs are pretty consistent with a lot of recipes I plug in from books, internet etc.

Probably best to stick with one and learn where it makes mistakes.

Don't see it as a silly question at all, it's a very fair one. The problem I have is that there's that much ****e in the samples I've been using I honestly can't see how they can be giving me a useful reading so the problem is more with how I've been brewing than the hydrometer I think.

Lately I've been experimenting with a range of filtration methods, and what has given me the clearest post boil wort is a pinch of protafloc and a large bazooka tube. Granted some bits will get in the test tube, they always do, but if you wait 10 mins or so they should settle out. You could probably strain it through a muslin cloth too.

Some trub is fine to have in the test tube as well.

Back