Upping the ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
Me and a friend were enjoying a Weiss IPA at Hammerton brewery tap last night and he challenged me to brew something similar but more "biscuity" and double the strength - towards 9%.

So what are the ways of making a stronger brew? I'm currently an extract brewer. I'm guessing I could double-steep my speciality grains (ie steep for an hour , then steep a second batch in the resultant wort), but as these would only form maybe 25% of the grain bill, any increase in fermentable sugars would also only be a quarter of what I need. Is simply adding more sugar for the yeast to feed on an option? It seems crude to me. Of course, I could always brew short.

What are the best ways to get more alcohol in your brews? And what's the strongest people here have achieved?

You need to up your base malts as well to double the abv double the malts or halve the volume ( there about)

Use a brew calculator to check

You will need a high alcohol yeast as well

As above,you need more extract or dextrose. Specialty grains give you minimal fermentables.

Me and a friend were enjoying a Weiss IPA at Hammerton brewery tap last night and he challenged me to brew something similar but more "biscuity" and double the strength - towards 9%.

So what are the ways of making a stronger brew? I'm currently an extract brewer. I'm guessing I could double-steep my speciality grains (ie steep for an hour , then steep a second batch in the resultant wort), but as these would only form maybe 25% of the grain bill, any increase in fermentable sugars would also only be a quarter of what I need. Is simply adding more sugar for the yeast to feed on an option? It seems crude to me. Of course, I could always brew short.

What are the best ways to get more alcohol in your brews? And what's the strongest people here have achieved?

I've done 10.37% with extract and candi sugar and some speciality grains. tihs was with mangrove jacks belgian ale yeast suitable for up to 14% beer!

you'll need about 4kg of fermentables with your grains to get around 9% and 21-22 litres of beer.

3kg of dried wheat extract and 500g of candi sugar to start with. For the last 500g choose the candi sugar if you want a thinner beer or the malt if you want it a bit thicker. I've had weiss yeasts ferment to 8% easily because the candi sugar is easier to ferment than extract, however for the IPA side perhaps MJ's M44 if you're not intending to drink a cloudy beer. :-)

as for bitterness with extract brew I use lots of high AA% hops for a short amount to get the bitterness in quick, then dry hop for the flavour.

Belgian brewers will use sugar to up the alcohol without creating too much body. don't be afraid of doing that. Plain white sugar works for a light beer but dark candi is great for darker ones.

Back