turbo cider 12l bland?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello All

I made my first bacth of cider two weeks ago, bottled up yesterday.

tasted ok first impressions

only prob is I didn't add pectolase, ciritric acid or any other fermentables aprt from the 12l of Sainsbury's apple juice.

The yeast was non branded, just saying it was for a 20-25l litre batch. (Very similar to the recent thread on yeast with sweetner)

over time, say for instance 4 weeks of conditioning, is this cider going to taste drier than a nun's :nono: or will it remain what appeared at first as a fairly sessionable mildly sweet pleasant cider

I will add, I didn't prime as I wanted as close to a flat cloudy (westons) cider as poss.

im only asking as it seems ok to drink now and wouldn't want the cider to taste worse with conditioning as in ultra dry.

Cheers for any 2 cents you may have

I wouldn't expect it to get any drier with conditioning mate, if anything I would expect it to mellow out some more 😀

I see you're not carbing it, but of of interest, has it cleared completely ? Would satisfy my curiosity on the pectolase question!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Mate

seemed clear, the yeast left a really good thick solid crust, obviously still had to be careful.

I still don't know what yeast it was, but like I said earlier looked exactly like the same packet from the thread asking about yeast with sweetner today. took two days to get going though so hope all is well in the health side of it for want of a better word:D

Beercat

so is there nothing you can add to make the cider sweeter? wouldn't it be like a less fermentable sugar based additive?

didn't prime mate to the carb question, and no I forgot to do a gravity, but it had been over two weeks, and being a shorter batch (12l) I would have thought it would have reached a decent FG

I can't drink the turbo cider without back sweetening, I put in 2 tsp granulated sweetener per 500ml to mine which is perfect for me. 1tsp when I bottle then 1tsp in a glass with some ice then pour cider on top. yum!
Just made a peach version which is lovely and doesn't need as much sweetener as the peach juice is sweet. You need pectolase with this especially though as the peach juice is quite cloudy.

well I hope the unidentified yeast has done me a favour then. ill definitely try the sweetener next time if this a dry one although I'm hoping as a previous post mentioned it may mellow out!

great responses yet again

I've made a ribenna cider and it gets its sweetness from the ribenna and the teaspoon of sugar when bottling it.

Latest posts

Back