AG #15 Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on the go last night:

Bavarian Hefeweizen
ABV after bottling: 5.4%
Bitterness: 12.5 IBU
Colour: 7 EBC

2.7kg German Wheat Malt
2.3kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt

32g Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 90mins
18g Tettnang @ 10mins
Tettnang is a bittering hop generally, but I ran out of Hersbrucker and reasoned that Tettnang or Saaz would be a good substitute.

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast

14.5 litre mash @ 66℃
20 litre sparge @ 75℃

Pre-boil gravity reading was 1.038 which brings the BHE out at 67.5% - my average.

OG was spot on at 1.050, which should give 5% after fermentation. Bottling will push it up to 5.3-5.4% (going for a carbonation volume of 3.75).

Immersion chilled and yeast pitched @ 23℃. Switched on the HLT at 19.10 and was all done by 01.20, a good run for me. Left the clearing until this morning though!

Nice, perfect sunshine brew. You going for more banana, more clove or a balance?

Unfortunately I don't have all that much control over temperature, but more banana will do if it's on the warm side

Checked on it last night after being away for Sunday night and it looks like it developed a nice 5-6 inch krausen during the exponential growth phase which has now settled down to 1-2 inches.

It's a good job I chose the 30L FV over the 25L otherwise there would have been a mess on the floor.

I cropped about 500ml of yeast and wort into a jar and will let it ferment out before storing in the fridge. I've got a dunkelweisen planned for August, and this will be ideal.

Overall impression is very good. The WLP300 seems to be another top cropping strain, and early results are impressive.

The smell from the FV is divine and hopefully in 3-4 weeks I'll be tucking into a top notch Hefeweizen...

Checked on it last night after being away for Sunday night and it looks like it developed a nice 5-6 inch krausen during the exponential growth phase which has now settled down to 1-2 inches.

It's a good job I chose the 30L FV over the 25L otherwise there would have been a mess on the floor.

I cropped about 500ml of yeast and wort into a jar and will let it ferment out before storing in the fridge. I've got a dunkelweisen planned for August, and this will be ideal.

Overall impression is very good. The WLP300 seems to be another top cropping strain, and early results are impressive.

The smell from the FV is divine and hopefully in 3-4 weeks I'll be tucking into a top notch Hefeweizen...

Found this with my Wit yeast WLP400.. Krausen was so big I could have slept on it.

Just taken a reading this morning and it's at 1.020. Has anyone known a wheat beer to need rousing?

I would have expected it to be nicely down to 1.010 after 4-5 days. It's been stuck at 1.020 now for a couple of days.

It tastes OK, so I don't think it's infected. Perhaps just a little cool? It's probably been below 20℃ now for a few days...

So I roused it a few days ago and left it. Took a reading today and it's down to FG - 1.012. Had a taste and it's got a nice balance of clove and banana.

Will leave it in the FV for a few more days then bottle it. Happy days.

We had a few bottles of Paulaner Hefeweizen over the weekend and I'm now under strict instruction to brew some. :drink:

Bottled it last night. Was down to 1.010. Primed with 275g of sugar. Hopefully no bottle bombs!

I have bottled for about 6 months and forgot that sanitising, drying, siphoning to bottling bucket and bottling took about 4.5 hours...!

Bottled it last night. Was down to 1.010. Primed with 275g of sugar. Hopefully no bottle bombs!

I have bottled for about 6 months and forgot that sanitising, drying, siphoning to bottling bucket and bottling took about 4.5 hours...!

I do about 160g for 21 litres. How many litres did you get?

Yeah I know! I've put 150g in a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer before, but followed Greg Hughes' priming advice this time. Of all the wheat beers I've made, none have had the creamy stiff head associated with commercial wheat beers. Some advice was to increase the carb volume to 3.75, which calculated 275g. I made sure fermentation had finished and I've got strong bottles!

Cracked open the first of these tonight. I figured that wheats should be drunk early, and I bottled it 7 days ago.

Given the high carbonation I chilled to just above zero and decanted. Got a lovely compact creamy head and the taste is absolutely sublime.

I'm seriously impressed!

Yeah I know! I've put 150g in a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer before, but followed Greg Hughes' priming advice this time. Of all the wheat beers I've made, none have had the creamy stiff head associated with commercial wheat beers. Some advice was to increase the carb volume to 3.75, which calculated 275g. I made sure fermentation had finished and I've got strong bottles!

That's the book I use for my priming calcs, it might seem a lot but I've chucked it in almost 300g on several wheat beers and they've been fine.

Drinking one this evening

IMAG1652.jpg

What temp did you ferment at? I've read that a fairly low temp, somewhere around 17C is best?

Seriously impressive looking pint. I'm looking forward to trying something similar myself.

No idea what the temp was, I have no control in the room where I ferment, but it was about 19℃ I think. It took a full week to get down to 1.020 from 1.050 and then another week to get to 1.008. Bottled and conditioned for a week and this is the result.

Dead simple to do, and the end product is lovely

No idea what the temp was, I have no control in the room where I ferment, but it was about 19℃ I think. It took a full week to get down to 1.020 from 1.050 and then another week to get to 1.008. Bottled and conditioned for a week and this is the result.

Dead simple to do, and the end product is lovely

Cracking. I might give this one a go at the weekend.

Back