How to make a Newbie thread title stand out from the rest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
Hi, I've been following these forums for a couple of weeks, so thought I'd take the plunge and actually write something.

I've always had a vague interest in the idea of making my own version of things. I have numerous allotment/smallholding books, yet I've never had a smallholding. I've got a few cheesemaking books. Never made my own cheese either. I built my own computer once. Can't for the life of me remember how.

I visited the Beers of Europe warehouse in Kings Lynn a couple of weeks ago and they had a Youngs home brew kit (incorrectly priced, it turns out) for £20. Every time I see a homebrew kit in a shop I stand and consider my life with far more beer and always decide I can't afford one, but at £20, how could I not?

Only realised when I got home that it was a lager kit and I'm more of an ale man. Not sure whether to just run through the basics as it's my first go, or whether to add something like ginger to it to make it more worth my while...

So yeah, hi!

Nick

Hi nick

I am sure between us we can come up with a modified brew based on your kit .... what kit is it and what do you like in light or golden ales?

The Youngs lager kit is rancid TBF but it includes everything you need for future brews. Have a look at the Beer Kit review for your next brew but don't hang around and move to all grain asap, it's not hard, just takes more time, I wish I'd have done it sooner :)

Hi, I've been following these forums for a couple of weeks, so thought I'd take the plunge and actually write something.

I've always had a vague interest in the idea of making my own version of things. I have numerous allotment/smallholding books, yet I've never had a smallholding. I've got a few cheesemaking books. Never made my own cheese either. I built my own computer once. Can't for the life of me remember how.

I visited the Beers of Europe warehouse in Kings Lynn a couple of weeks ago and they had a Youngs home brew kit (incorrectly priced, it turns out) for £20. Every time I see a homebrew kit in a shop I stand and consider my life with far more beer and always decide I can't afford one, but at £20, how could I not?

Only realised when I got home that it was a lager kit and I'm more of an ale man. Not sure whether to just run through the basics as it's my first go, or whether to add something like ginger to it to make it more worth my while...

So yeah, hi!

Nick
Just dry hop it and it'll be more like a pale ale simples

Hi nick

I am sure between us we can come up with a modified brew based on your kit .... what kit is it and what do you like in light or golden ales?

I'm a big fan of fiery ginger beers, also quite like a honey beer. Generally anything hoppy and not too bitter. I really like smoked dark ale, but I haven't found anything light which has worked with smoke...

The Youngs lager kit is rancid TBF but it includes everything you need for future brews. Have a look at the Beer Kit review for your next brew but don't hang around and move to all grain asap, it's not hard, just takes more time, I wish I'd have done it sooner :)

Oh dear! I looked through the review for my kit and found a couple of adaptations which caught my eye...

what hops do you like?

i would probably do a small hop tea for brewing maybe 20g steeped in hot water (about 80c) for 10 minutes, use 1kg of coopers brew enhancer and nottingham, gervin or US-05 yeast and after fermentation dry hop 25-35g of hops for 4-5 days then bottle or keg

Welcome to the forum

Try Beavertown breweries Smog Rocket tbh it's not that light at 5.4% but it's a lovely smoked porter.
Thanks for the tip! I'm searching out smoked beers at the moment. I recently discovered (about a year ago) my favourite ever beer, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen - quite a mouthful! Not too much smoke but enough to be noticeable.

Welcome to the forum. The guys here know more than me so I can only add that if you are going to stuff it up on the first attempt at least you will learn with a beer you don't particularly like. One of my major problems I hadn't even considered was getting the fermentation temperature right.

Maybe I am lucky that I used to have a smallholding of 4 acres with 50 chickens, 4 pigs, 3 horses, 6 sheep, 10 ducks, 2 dogs 6 cats and 3 beehives plus all the fruit and veg Hay, wood, water, etc. It's bloody hard work and I still had to have a 9-5 job to pay for it. Fun, but hard work. If anyone wants to try it - go for it but you are better off with some veg, fruit and one type of animal. I hated trimming the sheep's feet.
Sheep - first sign of illness - death. :lol:

Back