Using Wilko's yeast nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JabeerIni

Novel home brewer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I read somewhere that you could use Wilko's yeast nutrient when brewing beer (even when it's for wine).

As it's cheap, I gave it a go and -WOW!- fermentation was extremely active and quick (in less than 7 days the beer was ready. I also got the lowest FG I've ever gotten (1.006).

So, what's the problem? Well, yesterday -while bottling it- I noticed an off smell (not too strong but hey, it's there!). It was like sulfur (rotten eggs).

I tried the beer and it tasted just fine. However, the smell got me thinking...

I once read that when you're brewing cider, that smell at the end of fermentation is a "good sign" (which I again struggle to understand) and yesterday that thought came across my head and I thought that maybe it has something to do with the yeast nutrient?

Is that smell normal? Have you used that nutrient? Do you think it's the cause?

Please share with me any experience you have had with that product...

I always use nutrient, my logic is as its so cheap, why not?
Don't worry about sulphur smell, it's often a by product of some fermentations, it'll condition out.
Was it a lager or a witbier yeast?

I haven't used that but have used youngs yeast nutrient.. wouldn't think it could ruin anything

What are you brewing exactly? fermentation kicks off all sorts of funny smells.

I always use nutrient, my logic is as its so cheap, why not?
Don't worry about sulphur smell, it's often a by product of some fermentations, it'll condition out.
Was it a lager or a witbier yeast?
Same logic here heheh.

It was an ale (a Golden Promise - Pacific Jade S.M.A.S.H.). Here's a link to the vid if you want to check it out:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTaOv03GifM[/ame]

I'm so relieved that the smell will condition out...

Cheers!

I haven't used that but have used youngs yeast nutrient.. wouldn't think it could ruin anything

What are you brewing exactly? fermentation kicks off all sorts of funny smells.
Hi there!

Thank you for your response, I thought there could be some sort of incompatibility between wine yeast nutrients and beer yeast but I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be the case hehe!

I brewed a Golden Promise - Pacific Jade S.M.A.S.H. (there's a link in my previous response above).

I'll try it in 3 weeks and if the smell is completely gone, I'll use that nutrient from now on (apart from that smelly smell, everything else was GREAT).

Cheers!

Back