Chocolate malt Mosaic hop beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dark Knight. 4.9 Maris Otter, 250g chocolate malt, 500g Crystal malt (not sure I had that much), 350g of Carapils. Strike water 17.3l of water at 77c, mash for 1hour and the temp stayed good..probably higher than middle range 66c . Sparged with 15l of water at 77c. Boiled for 70min, 40g at start, 11g at 15, 11g at 5 and 38g at flame out all Mosaic. Colour is dark red/brown, taste at pitch, is a bit bitter from the chocolate malt with a hop background, malty and sweet. It tastes nice at the moment so hope this comes through fermenting! Pitched Wilko Gervin yeast. OG around 1068 which is higher than I expected.

Are you drinking this beer yet if so how did it turn out. I've got some mosaic that need using up and like sound of this.

Are you drinking this beer yet if so how did it turn out. I've got some mosaic that need using up and like sound of this.

It is really nice although I think it could do with a couple of weeks in the garage to really bring out the best of it. At the moment it is a very smooth dark beer with a creamy head which doesn't stay long at the moment. The Mosaic hop is very nice, still abit grassy but the fruity tastes are coming through. It is more like an American porter in its smoothness although it's bitterness is not as as strong as those type beers and its finish is cleaner more like an IPA. I would certainly make this again.

Sounds good I really like Mosaic buy its at its best blended with other american hops. I also like a bit of crystal and other darker malts even in hop forward beers.

Thanks for the reply lesinge. I've got all the ingredients in your recipe and wanted to use them up and if you don't mind I want to copy your recipe. Should be a nice beer to come back to after two weeks of Spanish lager:sick:.

Thanks for the reply lesinge. I've got all the ingredients in your recipe and wanted to use them up and if you don't mind I want to copy your recipe. Should be a nice beer to come back to after two weeks of Spanish lager:sick:.

Did you try it out?

I certainly did and it tuned out to be a cracker. Was a little to bitter to start with but now has mellowed into a nice smooth porter. My O.G. was lower than yours about 1050 and what I thought was carapils turned out to caramalt. I'm really enjoying drinking it and will definitely do again thanks for sharing.

I certainly did and it tuned out to be a cracker. Was a little to bitter to start with but now has mellowed into a nice smooth porter. My O.G. was lower than yours about 1050 and what I thought was carapils turned out to caramalt. I'm really enjoying drinking it and will definitely do again thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I think looking back that having the extra sweetness from the Caramalt probably made it nicer!

Latest posts

Back