Helix NZ IPA. AG brew number two.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven945

Reaction score
What a wonderful day outside, so I'm spending a few hours in my kitchen brewing. A grain kit from my local (ish) brewing shop, found here. Not totally sure what's in it, but it's mashing right now. I suppose I should go and heat up my sparge water in a moment...

Ten minutes to go of the boil. Then it's going in a deep bath to cool. I hate using that much water but I'll only be chilling the bottom 20cm of my pot if I put it in the sink.

I just picked the same kit up from the Brewstore last weekend, looking forward to getting it going!

The all grain kits they do seem like a good way to get into it without too much guesswork... I've done the Citra pale ale (Jarl clone) and the California Common one (Steam clone), nice beers :thumb:

I'll race you! Ha.

I'm intrigued by the spiced stout one, but I really think I should try doing something from scratch. Even if I use a recipe from a book or online, at least I'll know what's going in to my brew.

I had a look and a smell after 24 hours (I know, I know...) and it's definitely working. Kraussen seemed to have been and gone I think. Now to leave it for another five or so.

I'm hoping to progress on to some of my own recipes soon, just using their kits to get to grips with AG. Definitely takes the guesswork away initially. I know what you mean though, your own recipe would defintely be more satisfying to brew. The guys in the shop did say they can cast an eye over a potential recipe and advise you if they think it needs tweaked or if it's going to work or not, which I thought was very helpful!

Good luck with your brews.
I think these AG kits are a good way to start. They let you concentrate of the equipment and process without having to worry about the recipe. Once your happy with the process then you can start to design your own recipes.
When designing recipes its a good idea to look through either the Graham Wheeler or Greg Hughes books as these will give you a pointer on the sort of ingredient quantities you need.

Just done my first reading after six days. Gravity of 1016 which is probably nearly there. Hopefully I can bottle on Thursday, otherwise it'll be another ten days in the FV (Though if I can bottle on Thursday I can get on with another brew!).

I nearly had a disaster taking some beer from the FV when my syringe stuck, I had to pull it really hard and everything nearly went flying when it came unstuck. I might have to rethink using the syringe for taking samples, although it's so handy!

What a wonderful day outside, so I'm spending a few hours in my kitchen brewing. A grain kit from my local (ish) brewing shop, found here. Not totally sure what's in it, but it's mashing right now. I suppose I should go and heat up my sparge water in a moment...

Possible hops would be Pacific gem or Pacific jade judging from the description. Possibly green bullet to as they are very Limey.

Interesting, thanks! There are definite hints of lime in the taste.

I've bottled it just now. I named it Cats Are Still Running The World, as I decided to do a beer for each of my cats. This is named for my Jarvis, and the name came from his song Running The World.

A fortnight until I'll consider drinking it. My last brew should be done in a few days so I'll be able to cope!

I nearly had a disaster taking some beer from the FV when my syringe stuck, I had to pull it really hard and everything nearly went flying when it came unstuck. I might have to rethink using the syringe for taking samples, although it's so handy!

Cheap turkey baster from Wilkos or Morrisons etc. Easy to clean/sterilise and perfect for taking samples from your brew for check gravity.

I had one but I accidentally trod on it the afternoon I bought it. Oops! The syringe is also useful for starting the siphoning going. I think I've sorted it by adding some Vaseline to the rubber seal and it works fine. I'm also *very* careful to only pull the beer out, and not push anything back in.

I'm surprised a big syringe isn't seen as more standard kit. Though maybe I've discovered why.

Latest posts

Back