Study for your job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else have to do courses related to your job?

I can't believe I am the only one up at 00:30 writing nonsensical essays about wrists and MRIs. I'm fed up of this - wish I'd chosen a profession without this added nonsense! :doh:

It can be even worse when you start work proper!

Many times I climbed into bed at 5am and asked my good lady wife to get me up at 7.30am as I had to be in a client's office at 9am in Aberdeen (37 miles away) to deliver what I had been working on.

Yep! Self employed life was tough and enjoyable; but not as enjoyable as retirement! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It can be even worse when you start work proper!

Many times I climbed into bed at 5am and asked my good lady wife to get me up at 7.30am as I had to be in a client's office at 9am in Aberdeen (37 miles away) to deliver what I had been working on.

Yep! Self employed life was tough and enjoyable; but not as enjoyable as retirement! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sounds rough. I'm in my 10th year of work proper, but still training and learning on top of what I have already done.

Bring on retirement!

Look on the bright side. If you apply yourself to studying now you get to be a lecturer later on and if you stick at it you can reach the pinnacle of happiness by becoming ...

"The boring old fart who hasn't done anything but lecture for the last ten years!" :whistle:​

I sincerely hope that I retired before anyone could level that accusation at me! :thumb: :thumb:

It's not as painful as what you lads have been through but anyone here who has had to sit through five days of lectures for their Driver Certificate of Personal Competence card will feel my pain.

Think of the poor old lecturer!

When you're playing a film for the thirtieth time after a good lunch the effort to keep your eye-lids apart is harder than humping coal!

I once woke up to the sound of a film end flapping around the reel ... :doh: :doh:

... and with no film in place the brightness reflected off the screen had revealed all to the group! :whistle: :whistle:

At least I never fell off the chair; and that has happened! :thumb: :thumb:

In my line of work my bosses have tried to send me on courses, conferences etc. which I usually try and get out of by claiming they are a waste of time and won't learn anything, and I'm much more useful in the office learning on the job. Whilst this is actually the case 95% of the time (digital marketing is still a "young" industry with a hell of a lot of bullsh*tters), they usually convince me to go by buying me lunch and many beers. I'm easily won over.

What's annoying though is when I see a course which I will actually benefit from, it gets difficult to actually go!

I stopped doing courses for work because they became obsolete so quickly. I once spend 2 weeks getting myself up to Microsoft Professional Developer level about 5 years ago only for my qualification to be obsolete in 2 years. With the way that technology progresses and moves to stay up to date would require a large investment from myself and a lot of time studying. I guess i'm just not willing to put all that effort in.

I had 3 years of pretty gruelling work and study commitments during my Chartered Accountancy training. Now I'm a public sector accountant and everything is rosy! CPD courses 3-4 times a year and that's my lot.

Yeah, for the last 5 years I have been doing courses which have been steadily higher levels. I'm in the middle of a degree being paid for by my company. At times its been difficult to balance both a full time job and a part time degree.

SWMBO runs her own graphic design business and she was getting a lot of website enquiries, so I spent quite a lot of time last year learning Wordpress web design to help her out.

I've built 1 site since!

I think WordPress is worth knowing for a lot of career choices, even if it's nothing to do with web dev/design. If you can put together a good looking and functional website within a couple of weeks, which is possible on WP, it can really help with either your own business or if you work in small business. A lot of SMBs have pretty bad sites because they think web development is a dark art only the chosen may practice, and usually end up going with someone who doesn't entirely know what they're doing. It's pretty easy with WP though and I've seen some great sites made by amateurs better than some horsesh*t crook of a dev agency.

Does anyone else have to do courses related to your job?

I can't believe I am the only one up at 00:30 writing nonsensical essays about wrists and MRIs. I'm fed up of this - wish I'd chosen a profession without this added nonsense! :doh:

Yes, what an absolute pain they are. :mrgreen:

Had one in Brussels last year, may need to go to Vienna for another in the next year or so, possibly Stuttgart and there is also a possibility of Rennes this year too.

Only managed Luton and Poole so far this year.

Yes, what an absolute pain they are. :mrgreen:

Had one in Brussels last year, may need to go to Vienna for another in the next year or so, possibly Stuttgart and there is also a possibility of Rennes this year too.

Only managed Luton and Poole so far this year.

Unfortunately don't have to go anywhere. Just write stuff. Anyway done now. It has in no way changed what I do, just jumped through a hoop that was given to me.

Done the same job for the last 30 years, always learning,reading rule books and being told what to do,in moderation,the joys of Privatisation,only 9 years to do!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Unfortunately don't have to go anywhere. Just write stuff. Anyway done now. It has in no way changed what I do, just jumped through a hoop that was given to me.

To be honest it is actually a nuisance. It sounds great to be going to Vienna and places like that but understandably my employer has no desire to give me a free holiday.
We usually arrive at our hotel the evening before we have to attend the course, wake up, shower, breakfast and then sit in a classroom all day having information crammed into our brains.
Get back to the hotel totally knackered, half an hour an hour's rest then out for a beer and summat to eat. Repeat for the rest of the course. On the last day it is normally an early finish, a mad dash for the airport and back home.
Mrs Wysh came with me to Brussels as all we had to do was find her travel tickets, the hotel was already paid for.
Was mildly annoying to arrive back at the hotel and be told of all the tours she'd been on while I'd been working, and to be dragged round the shops to look at the lovely dress she'd found and the marvellous twiddly things that would go so well in our lounge!

I stopped doing courses for work because they became obsolete so quickly. I once spend 2 weeks getting myself up to Microsoft Professional Developer level about 5 years ago only for my qualification to be obsolete in 2 years. With the way that technology progresses and moves to stay up to date would require a large investment from myself and a lot of time studying. I guess i'm just not willing to put all that effort in.

Haha,

yes. MCT here, then changed the job. But in IT "Livelong learning" never was news.

At the moment I study at the OU. Next assignment is due in a week. Started with Bsc Psychology but then dropped out till I discovered I can change the subject to an "Open degree" which literally means I can study every course I'm interested in.

BTW I can decorate my crapper with certificates and I think this is what they are made for.

Latest posts

Back