Ginger Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ginger wine, started yesterday.

230g peeled root ginger, blended (might be a tad to much), simmered.
250g Sultanas blended then simmered
1 bannana with peel, simmered
1 lemon simmered with zest (removed before putting in dj)
1440g Sugar, boiling water over and dissolved
2 tea bags
1tsp pectolase, 1/2 tsp of Amylase (for bannana starch), 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp of citric acid. GV4 yeast (rated 21%)

Fermenting away, hopefully ready for christmas.

Racked off most of the must, added another 160g of sugar, will probably need another rack in a week. no sg taken yet.

Sounds lovely. I don't think 230g peeled ginger will be too much. I used 280g in a ginger beer and it gave a good strong flavour without being overpowering.

Just racked again and topped up, currently has an sg of 1020, good ginger flavour not overpowering with good body from the bananna. Didn't add a camden, so hoping no prob's.

Looks as if it stopped at 1018, might just be building up yeast culture, but tasted and lacked something, might add some orange zest on next rack, maybe a clove or two. Any opinions on using a clove or two?

It's stopped, final reading 1.020, must have been little warm for last weeks reading of 1.018. So at least 15% about what I wanted, might be more as was at least 1700g of sugar in there at start.

Decided it needed more flavour than the ginger and banana gave. So put peel of two oranges, 3.5 cloves and a stick of cinnamon in a pan brought to boil and simmered for half hour. Racked ginger wine onto two thirds of a camden and some potassium sorbate, half way through added the water (100ml) from oranges and spices to wine and racked the rest of wine into final final dj before bottling.

Not sure what it tastes like with additions, will inform after bottling. Will stay in dj for a while, waiting for a couple of other dj's to complete before adding finings.

Latest posts

Back