Stainless steel fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxx421

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the middle of my first two beer kits and I have been using a start up plastic fermenter.

I am looking to buy another fermenter and I keep seeing stainless steel fermenters and conical ones.

My question is is there any difference/ benefits from using a stainless steel fermenter instead of a plastic fermenter?

And Are what is the difference/ benefits from using a conical fermenter bearing in mind I'm only using beer kits at present ?

Any help in understanding any difference would be much appreciated.

Apart from whole heartedl agreeing with wilfy's comments, SS wont scratch like plastic so you probably will never have to replace a SS fermentor.

Conicals have ave dump valves so you can dump the trub and harvest yeast a easier. Tantanspecial who has a chronical say he feels his brews are smoother possibly because of less yeast contact area with the beer due to the cone at the bottom
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58853

Maybe it is cause I am new but I really like to be able to see what going on in there without having to open the lid, so maybe a fastferment would be an alternative...

Maybe it is cause I am new but I really like to be able to see what going on in there without having to open the lid, so maybe a fastferment would be an alternative...

I cover the top of my FV with cling film, which means I can look in my FV any time I like without risk of infection. You could do that with a SS fermenter if you really wanted to.

with a stainless steel 1 you could put it on the hob to dissolve the wort + extra sugar into your solution first rather then putting the kettle through its paces :D

I won a stainless conical fermenter in the raffle at this year's homebrew festival - that alone has paid for attending for the next 5 years!

It's currently in the kitchen cosseting a Wilko Wheat Beer kit, as I wanted to check I had it all put together and under control properly before I spent 6 hours doing an AG, only to dump it on the garage floor! Anyway, it's suitably industrial in appearance, has fermented the wort like a machine and is massively shiny. :thumb:

20160724_214522.jpg

I won a stainless conical fermenter in the raffle at this year's homebrew festival - that alone has paid for attending for the next 5 years!

It's currently in the kitchen cosseting a Wilko Wheat Beer kit, as I wanted to check I had it all put together and under control properly before I spent 6 hours doing an AG, only to dump it on the garage floor! Anyway, it's suitably industrial in appearance, has fermented the wort like a machine and is massively shiny. :thumb:

that things a beast!

That should come with a Not Safe For Work warning!

Back