A couple of national Home Brew competitions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machin05

Reaction score
First up it's the 3rd Thornbridge / Waitrose competition - http://gbhomebrew.co.uk/

Entries to be submitted in 500ml bottles by the 30th August. Winner will get ���£250, a trip to Thornbridge for the first brew day and their beer sold in a number of Waitrose stores.

-----------------------------

But Brewdog look to have smashed it out the water again with their inaugural home brew comp with Tesco - #HomeBrewDog - https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/homebrewdog

Open until the 16th September, the winner gets the following:

• Brewday at Ellon HQ
  • Beer on sale in their online store
  • Beer on sale at Tesco
  • Beer on tap at all Brewdog bars
  • The chance to host the launch night at any of their bars (and pick the beer list)
  • 5 cases of their brew
  • Merch from their online shop and �£100 of beer
  • A JOB AT BREWDOG!!
https://www.brewdog.com/homebrewdog
Yowsers - get to work chaps :thumb:

#HomeBrewDog is now open. This is your chance to become a homebrew hero. Win the opportunity to brew with us, have your beer stocked in Tesco and online shop and even become a full time brewer at BrewDog!

Just submit 3 x 330ml bottles, along with a brew sheet application form, to your nearest UK BrewDog bar or direct to us via mail.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Beer must be with BrewDog by: 16.09.16
Final judging - W/C 19.09.16
Winner announced - October

WHAT'S AT STAKE:

Brew your beer with us at Brew HQ
A full time position as a brewer in the BrewDog brewing team
Your beer will launch on draft in our UK Bars
Your beer will launch on our online shop
Your beer will be listed in Tesco
Host a launch event in your favourite UK BrewDog Bar
Receive 5 cases of your creation
Get a merch swag bag, and £100 of beer from our online shop

More details here:
https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/homebrewdog

I only have 500ml bottles which rules Brewdog out. Not that I would have any expectation of winning having only done 4 AG brews but it would be nice to get some unbiased feedback on my steam beer other than my parents, friends and work colleagues telling me it's brilliant!

good luck gentlemen, i just wish i was brewing with grain by now as id love to get this job.

once again best of luck all

not sure if you guys had seen this but I thought it might be of interest

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/homebrewdog

from the website

For the next ten weeks, we are accepting entries from anyone who would like to create a beer at home they believe is worthy of BrewDog, and would like to follow in the footsteps of James and Martin. We have assembled a world-leading panel of industry experts to judge the beers, chaired by our co-founders alongside the legendary beer writer Pete Brown. To reflect this, our quest to find the next level of homebrewing talent has some truly life-changing prizes:-

- The winner will receive an all-expenses paid trip to our Ellon HQ to re-brew their beer.
- It will be launched into our online shop and as an exclusive listing in Tesco.
- Also the beer will be launched on draft across our network of UK bars.
- Our champion can host a launch event at any UK BrewDog bar (and pick the beer list).
- We will also send the victorious homebrewer a few bottles of their creation too!

But there is one other aspect of the prize, as well.

- We will offer the homebrewer who impresses our judging panel the most a job at BrewDog.

At the moment I'm just aiming to brew a nicely balanced beer but you get the feeling that something like that wouldn't cut the mustard with brewdog, it'd have to be some sort of outrageous hop monster to even get consideration id imagine

At the moment I'm just aiming to brew a nicely balanced beer but you get the feeling that something like that wouldn't cut the mustard with brewdog, it'd have to be some sort of outrageous hop monster to even get consideration id imagine

This is what I'm thinking, I too am brewing 'safe' beers at the moment because I'm new to it and just finding my feet. I would like to have a go at a competition one day though.

Jas

Not necessarily, if you look at the DIY Dog document there are a lot of malty and/or darker beers in there. Their original Christmas beer (the wonderful Santa Paws which I will be brewing in a couple of months) only has an IBU of 35.

I was originally against the Thornbridge/Waitrose competition as they pretty much steal your recipe, and even the �£250 seems a bit meagre for what they will give back for your work. I still kind of feel this way but will enter the comp anyway. There aren't a great deal of competitions around and I would like to enter. If I win I'll share the recipe with you all!

I'm brewing a beer for the Brewdog competition today.

Also some forum members are getting together to create a forum competition if you haven't seen that thread. The prizes offered are fame and prestige, but even better is you should get feedback from your entry which is why most people enter competitions http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64198&goto=newpost

I only have 500ml bottles which rules Brewdog out. Not that I would have any expectation of winning having only done 4 AG brews but it would be nice to get some unbiased feedback on my steam beer other than my parents, friends and work colleagues telling me it's brilliant!

No offence, mate, but that really is ALL the feedback you actually need.

If they like it, and knowing that its only your 4th effort, and what a twit they doubtless tell you that you are, then that is all you need.

Go for it!

No offence, mate, but that really is ALL the feedback you actually need.

Likewise, I know when my beer tastes good, and when it tastes bad. And most of the time it's probably someones idea of a decent recipie, there's thousands of beers out there, even dreaming up a random recipie, it'll probably be similar to some commercial beer somewhere. I noticed the other day that my Timothy Taylor's (slum) Landlord (it's a clone, simplified, and brewed with really old cheap hops) actually has a nearly identical recipie to a local breweries bitter which has won awards! Tastes almost the same too (you can tell my hops are too old).

I sent off my ris-ky business because in addition to the hop bombs they do have a few dark strong ones in their list. I figure mine will be at optimum age by then and figured most entries would be brewed for the comp thus ruling out many darker brews :whistle: and thus standing out from hoppy beer no 132 :lol:

I could be totally wrong though. It would be nice to see a beer stronger than 9.2% in tesco :grin:

Back