Sam Allardyce

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think He can do better than those that have failed before?

• Yes.

• No.

• I was hoping we would get - (post name in thread)

• I do not care i hate football.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you think he can do better than those that have failed before?

I have gone for yes, he cannot do any worse than the Woy who i thought was clueless and couldn't believe they gave him the job in the first place.

Sunderland have given the Football Association (FA) permission to speak to their manager Sam Allardyce about the position of England boss.

But the Premier League club say they want Allardyce to stay, insisting he is "very much key to our plans".

Sunderland claim speculation about Allardyce has been "extremely damaging" and have urged the FA to "bring about a swift resolution to the matter".

England are searching for a new boss after Roy Hodgson quit on 28 June.
More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36783415

He'll do better than Hodgson and Crapello IMO, I reckon a lot of those who think he's just a long ball merchant will be pleasantly surprised.

However, as a Sunderland fan I'm praying the FA will decide not to give him it!

He cannot do any worse than the Woy

Oh yes he can. How quickly we forgot not qualifying for a tournament feels like. While i'll admit, Tournament Hodgson was a bit of a joke, we are only 8 years removed from failing to qualify for Euro 2008. Hodgson was a mediocre England manager, however i wouldn't say hes in the class of bad managers i've seen in my lifetime.

As for Big Sam...we've kind of backed ourselves into a corner with this one. The most qualified man for the job, the one who has a proven track record at international tournaments and spearheaded the revolution in german football after their failure in the 2000 Euros won't be given the job because of his nationality.

If we must appoint an englishman, then its slim pickings. Of the available managers its either Big Sam or take a chance on an unproven manager from the lower divisions.

It's a sad day when the best English person to manage England is a dinosaur like Sam Allardyce
He's not what I would call forward thinking
If you want someone to keep your team from being reigated by not losing then fine, but I don't think he is at the top of the tree when it come to winning tournaments

I was hoping we'd get one of the Spice Girls. :thumb:

Come on!! :thumb: :thumb:

They can't do any worse than the numpties both on and off the pitch ... :doh:

... and they did have a hit with "Wannabe"! :whistle:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ[/ame]

It's a sad day when the best English person to manage England is a dinosaur like Sam Allardyce
He's not what I would call forward thinking
If you want someone to keep your team from being reigated by not losing then fine, but I don't think he is at the top of the tree when it come to winning tournaments

Apart from having a "must not lose" mentality (1-1 against Bournmouth last season for example - but he doesn't do this all the time, and "must not lose" didn't do Portugal any harm over the last month or so), I disagree with everything you've said here. Sam might be in his 60s but he's definitely not a "dinosaur" who just avoids relegation every season. He had Bolton and West Ham in the top half of the PL no problem for starters.

He's also big into sports science (Wenger aside he was probably the first PL manager to incorporate this into day-to-day training sessions), sports psychology, and technology (uses Fitbit type devices to monitor ground covered etc); he's very active on the training ground and has a very good handle on tactics (although sometimes gets his subs wrong). He also has a track record of working with "difficult" (Anelka, Diouf) or underperforming players (Van Aanholt was public enemy number 1 when Sam took over at Sunderland, he ended the season as one of our key players and was rightly rewarded with a new contract).

Unfortunately for my team, he's exactly the type of manager England need!

To be honest it doesn'treally matter who the manager is our players are so far behind the best in the world we have become another of the also rans!

Apart from having a "must not lose" mentality (1-1 against Bournmouth last season for example - but he doesn't do this all the time, and "must not lose" didn't do Portugal any harm over the last month or so), I disagree with everything you've said here. Sam might be in his 60s but he's definitely not a "dinosaur" who just avoids relegation every season. He had Bolton and West Ham in the top half of the PL no problem for starters.

He's also big into sports science (Wenger aside he was probably the first PL manager to incorporate this into day-to-day training sessions), sports psychology, and technology (uses Fitbit type devices to monitor ground covered etc); he's very active on the training ground and has a very good handle on tactics (although sometimes gets his subs wrong). He also has a track record of working with "difficult" (Anelka, Diouf) or underperforming players (Van Aanholt was public enemy number 1 when Sam took over at Sunderland, he ended the season as one of our key players and was rightly rewarded with a new contract).

That's the good thing about football, it's a game of opinions.
If he gets the job we will have to wait and see

Right now Big Sam is the only choice for me. I agree with pretty much what MickDundee said and will add that he will not take underachievers to tournament because of how much they cost or what club they are from, he will use the best, inform players we have, which is exactly what Hodgson didn't do. He's a football man through and through for me and may very well surprise a few people. I'm a Leicester fan by the way so have absolutely no allegiance with Sam or his current club.

Steve

To be honest it doesn'treally matter who the manager is our players are so far behind the best in the world we have become another of the also rans!

FIFA have just announced that in their World Rankings Wales is now above England. :doh: :doh:

We shouldn't complain, but we should remember one of my girlfriends who once said "I don't like playing second fiddle to you going fishing." ...

... to which I replied "Stop moaning, you're lucky to be in the band." :whistle:

No need to change the manager when the players are the problem. A country that thinks we can win everything when we're a quarter finals team with a tail wind and a hairy dose of luck is a very sad state of affairs... Stop paying them millions to kick a bag of wind about, act like spoiled children (which they really are, lets face it) and make everything about bonuses at the end of the year. Should inject a little more pride into their play, especially if we stop the Premier Leauge basically being the league with the most foreign players in the world... Should help as well.

No need to change the manager when the players are the problem. A country that thinks we can win everything when we're a quarter finals team with a tail wind and a hairy dose of luck is a very sad state of affairs... Stop paying them millions to kick a bag of wind about, act like spoiled children (which they really are, lets face it) and make everything about bonuses at the end of the year. Should inject a little more pride into their play, especially if we stop the Premier League basically being the league with the most foreign players in the world... Should help as well.

Totally agree, remember the Golden generation with Beckham and Gerard and so on, won absolutely nowt! Then yesterday Gerard was in the papers saying that the current bunch of players will come good and can go on to big things putting more pressure on them.

You can only work with what is there and the current lot are the best around BUT they do need to look to establishing some humility and good solid team work before conquering the world. As much as it pains me Big Sam did just that with the Sunderland team, they were not world beaters but well organised for the fight and England's gain will be their loss. It won't be exciting but we may be harder to beat!

No need to change the manager when the players are the problem. A country that thinks we can win everything when we're a quarter finals team with a tail wind and a hairy dose of luck is a very sad state of affairs... Stop paying them millions to kick a bag of wind about, act like spoiled children (which they really are, lets face it) and make everything about bonuses at the end of the year. Should inject a little more pride into their play, especially if we stop the Premier Leauge basically being the league with the most foreign players in the world... Should help as well.

I read something in the paper that said (iirc) England have only managed to reach the knock out stages in 6 of the last 23 tournament which puts things into perspective

I think (In general) it is probably easier as a manager to get your team to play attractive attacking football if you're given a kazillion quid to buy those sort of players. It's rather more difficult if your transfer funds are thruppence ha'penny and a bag of gob stoppers. I think your tactics are defined by your options. And yes, I know the Foxes managed it but they are the exception to the rule I think.

I think Big Sam will be no worse than the others and could be better.

Personally, and I know it's not gonna happen, but my ideal manager would be someone like Fergie, Arsene Wenger someone of that calibre.

Last edited:

Seems like you missed greed and a can get enough money attitude off your list of what big Sam is good at
Once Moyes is sacked I expect you will want him back :whistle:

He did get Sunderland to 17th in the Prem....great credentials

He did finished with the best win/lose percentage of any England manager in history.

Latest posts

Back