Probable Newbie Mistakes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First post so take it easy on me,

Been brewing kit lagers a few months now but not had great success, only using kits at the moment before jumping into hops, etc....

Latest brew is a Wilko Cerveza 23ltr mix and carbonation seems to be my issue, ingredients are right (1kg brewing sugar and 500g LSM) and temperature is spot on, (converted a fridge to be temperature controlled chamber)... Other than that, can only see sterilisation being an issue, but I can't see where I'm going wrong if I am....

.... Bottles and equipment washed thoroughly with fairy liquid and bottle brush, in warm water then rinsed until no soap in the bottles and equipment after use.

On bottling day, rinse everything before sanatising ('the range' Make Your Own brand) following instructions but rinse everything at the end because of the smell.... And bottle using a bottling bucket to mix in 4 heaped teaspoons of priming sugar (diluted into half a cup of boiling water and cooled before adding)... Then bottled and left in 'temp chamber' between 19-20 degrees for 5 weeks (so far) and very little carbonation!

Thanks in advance

Four heaped teaspoon for the whole 23 litre batch! That is nowhere near enough priming sugar. For a larger, I would add about 46 level teaspoons for that quantity.

First off don't use fairy liquid on your brewing equipment, it destroys head retention.

For 23 liters of lager I'd be adding somewhere around 100g of sugar for priming, did you only use the 4 tsp of sugar? That's about 20g which I'm afraid won't give you any noticeable carbonation at all.

Sorry meant to write 4 heaped 'Table' spoons, and I've heard about soap destroying head retention but thought rinsing thoroughly would take away the soap residue!?

Look into using oxi as ur cleaner before sanitizing, i think pretty much this is what most people use.
Also do a google search for the brewers friend priming calculator it will help you work out the amount of sugar u will need to carbonate whatever style of beer you are brewing. As said above 4 table spoons wouldnt be enough in 23 litres.

Thanks lads looks like I am cleaning the wrong way, or at least it's my next step to getting further brews sorted...

Is there anything I can do to rectify this batch?

And would you use Oxiclean on bottles as well as equipment?

Have you any idea how much sugar you used in grams? Since it's been 5 weeks I think it's safe to say they aren't going to carbonate. It is possible to reprime the bottles though it's not always successful. Basically open the bottle, add sugar and recap. It's obviously not ideal but it can work. Be careful not to overdo it though, use the calculator mentioned above and aim for about 2.0 vol.

Yes you can use oxiclean on pretty much everything but it still needs rinsed.

I use, as a base, 5 grams per liter. So I would have put in 115 grams for that batch. But that's corn sugar. Table sugar should be a little more I think.
Steve said it. Spray down the tops of the bottles with sanitizer and let them sanitize for 5 minutes. Open and add a teaspoon (little less) to each and re cap.

If I re-prime the bottles again, what temp do you think would be best to run at and for how long?... 19-20 again for another 2 weeks? Or higher to start and drop to condition?

At this time of year room temp should be fine for 2 weeks. Also look to get yourself some starsan no rinse cleaner, its expensive to buy roughly 10 quid for a 1/4 litre but it is reusable and lasts a very long time, I'm only halfway thru a 1/4 litre i bought a year ago, i just mix up a 10 litre batch at a time in a sealable tub and keep using at it.

Latest posts

Back