Evil Dog DIPA Kit sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2bdrow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very very new to brewing. Brewed 2 wherrys which first one was drinkable and second one was brewed short and was like syrup based battery acid. Live and learn.

Currently got Evil Dog in the FV. Been in since Wednesday afternoon so only about 5 days. There is a foam head on it but looks like a clear bubbled foam
Head and there seems to be no sediment whatsoever in the bottom. Like zero. Which i find really odd

SG was 1.064 and last checked it at 1.020 yesterday before breaking my only hydrometer during sanitizing.

Is this normal? I'm a little baffled at to what is happening. For full disclosure both Wherrys stopped at 1.020.

Anything i could be doing wrong?

Sounds okay to me so "No, not really." (The ".. not really." is because if it's fermenting I recommend that you don't touch it for at least a week.)

There are "top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting" yeasts and it sounds as if on this brew you have a "top fermenting" yeast working away.

Despite the lack of yeast deposited on the bottom of the FV the yeast is obviously working so I would just leave it alone for another three days and then check the SG with your new hydrometer.

If the SG is about 1.010 do a second check the next day and if the SG is still the same it's time for dry-hopping, cold crashing or bottling.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

It's also worth bearing in mind that the gas produced by the yeast bubbles up and puts the yeast in suspension. You can't really take stock of sediment until it's, well, sedimented.

Its been just over a week now. I think i was getting a dud reading before because it now says my hydromete reading is 1.030. The beer i took from it is also quite fizzy oddly. Doesnt seem quite right to me.

I have an 11g packet of gervin ale yeast. Would it harm much me putting that in and trying to give it a nudge. The top of my beer has a very very slight foamy head but not the usual big foamy krausen head and still no sediment in the bottom.

Sure you can. You can rehydrate the yeast in water first, then perhaps put a couple of spoonfuls of the wort in and leave it for 20 mins to get going, then re-pitch.

Its been just over a week now. I think i was getting a dud reading before because it now says my hydromete reading is 1.030. The beer i took from it is also quite fizzy oddly. Doesnt seem quite right to me.

I have an 11g packet of gervin ale yeast. Would it harm much me putting that in and trying to give it a nudge. The top of my beer has a very very slight foamy head but not the usual big foamy krausen head and still no sediment in the bottom.

As IainM says, there's no problem in sticking in another sachet of rehydrated yeast however, every indication you have is that the brew IS fermenting; but very slowly.

I've done the same with 23 litres of gluten free beer that I'm brewing at the moment, but at the same time I have decided that it must ferment in a totally different way than any other beer that I have made so it was probably not worthwhile.

When I take a sample there are tiny bubbles in the hydrometer tube and the SG IS dropping; but so slowly as to be undetectable on a day-to-day basis. It has taken eight days to drop from an OG of 1.044 to the intermediate SG of 1.032.

I am now in the process of NOT touching it again until August. :thumb:

With regard to misreading an SG I take a photograph of the OG and FG so that I can expand the view on this machine and double check things for the diary. It save me arguing with myself!

Here/s a couple of SGs from a Barley Wine I did earlier in the year. With three months between readings it would have been easy to forget the OG and even believe that the fermentation had finished!

Barley Wine OG.jpg

Barley Wine FG.jpg

The only thing you're doing wrong is interfering with it! ;) Leave it alone for another 10 days to 2 weeks and all will be well. You can't micromanage fermentation! It sounds like it's a slow burner, so keep it closed and at a stable temperature suitable for the yeast and just let it do its thing!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back