Home Brew Forum Competition - October 16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for October 16 is IPA.

Style Guidelines:

IPA
(Includes British IPA, American IPA, Black/Brown IPA, Rye IPA, Speciality IPAs. Does not include Double IPAs)
IPAs should have an OG of between 1.050 and 1.070 and an IBU of 40+. Beers should exhibit a hop-forward flavour/aroma typically (but not limited to) using spicy or citric hops. IPAs should be drier with a light to medium body. British IPAs can exhibit fruitier malt flavours. IPAs should be light in colour (Black and Brown variants accepted). Darker IPAs should not have a burned or astringent flavour but should be balanced with enhanced malt character.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @DoctorMick

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Monday 31st October and feedback will be provided by PM within 2 weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Got my brew for this comp on the go yesterday and have had a bit of a break from the norm. Anyone else got there's going?

Have there been many entries @DoctorMick ?

:cheers:

This would be the competition I would brew for but all my ipa's are in kegs and I don't know if I will have one done by then

I made an IPA today I think I'll submit, otherwise I'm gonna brew one in September. Really pleased this comp is going ahead!

I'm planning an amarillo and simcoe hopped black ryePA for this but I'll be brewing it probably late Sept so the hop aroma is nice and fresh. Looking forward to the competition.

I'm planning an amarillo and simcoe hopped black ryePA for this but I'll be brewing it probably late Sept so the hop aroma is nice and fresh. Looking forward to the competition.

Its interesting how timing a brew comes into play when its for a comp, and something I've scratched my head over a bit lately.
Late Sept would only give you a month to ferment & bottle condition though. Will that be enough time?

I helped out at a BJCP comp a few months ago and one of the things I kept hearing from judges about the hoppy styles like IPA and APA was that the hop aroma in the beers was often too muted. I've noticed in my hoppy beers that the big hop burst fades pretty quickly and they are often at their best when young, in the bottle just long enough to carb up. When using beautiful hops like amarillo, you don't want to lose that amazing aroma.

I agree, and drink my kegged hoppy beers after just a few days at 30psi to carb up, but for bottled I've always given them the usual 4 weeks to condition & settle after bottling - I'll try the next batch a bit earlier and see how it is.

Got my brew for this comp on the go yesterday and have had a bit of a break from the norm. Anyone else got there's going?

Have there been many entries @DoctorMick ?

Looks like a few people will be entering, if we get double figures for the first month I'll be very pleased. :thumb:

In a couple of weeks I'll post a couple of reminders in the other forums to try and generate a bit more interest.

I agree, and drink my kegged hoppy beers after just a few days at 30psi to carb up, but for bottled I've always given them the usual 4 weeks to condition & settle after bottling - I'll try the next batch a bit earlier and see how it is.

Yeah give it a try, you might be surprised. I made a really hoppy galaxy pale ale once and it was at it's best about a week after bottling.

I've got a very experimental IPA lined up for this one. This will be my first venture into IPA territory so it's going to be interesting!

Tweaking the IBU's at this very moment.

I'll be starting my IPA for this in a few weeks. Ironically, I'm already brewing for the January (Stout) and March 2017 (Belgian) competitions, and will starting the December 2017 (Lambic/Sour) brew in a week or so.

I'm also doing a quick experiment for the May 2017 (SMaSH) competition for which I have a cunning plan!

I'll be starting my IPA for this in a few weeks. Ironically, I'm already brewing for the January (Stout) and March 2017 (Belgian) competitions, and will starting the December 2017 (Lambic/Sour) brew in a week or so.

I'm also doing a quick experiment for the May 2017 (SMaSH) competition for which I have a cunning plan!

I'm also brewing my breakfast stout for Jan and biere de garde for March soon, and I have 2 lambics conditioning already, one is a year and a half old the other 3 months old.

Got my brew day on today for the IPA month .
These smell delicious!
20160812_134235.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a good 2 months till judging, are you not concerned about losing that beautiful citra aroma?

I cant be that choosy with my brew days unfortunately. Gotta get one in when I can due to working so much and home life. Today was THE day!

Back