how much fermentables?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
What would be the "ideal" amount of fermentables to add to a 1 can kit? Per weiget, allowing for water, what are the comparisons liquid vs dry malt extract?

Cheers

Clint

It depends how strong you want your beer to be and how much of it you are making.

An extra 1.5KG of malt extract for a 20-23L batch will give you a reasonable brew.

Dry extract has about 10% more sugars per weight than liquid so is normally slightly better value. It also stores better than liquid if you don't use it all in one go.

Your best bet is to use some brewing software like Brewers Friend. This allows you to adjust the fermentables and volume until you have the desired end result. The free trial account allows you to store 5 recipes.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you are using a pre-hopped extract as the base, then you can't adjust the bitterness. The larger the total volume the more dilute the bitterness will be. It will probably be designed for 20-23L. If you brewed 15L with it, it would be more bitter. If you brewed 30L with it, it would be less bitter.

Also the more extract you add on top of this the lower the perceived bitterness will be. The actual bitterness won't change but the increased malt flavour and residual sweetness will make it seem less. This is why strong beers like IPAs can handle the high bitterness of the style.

Almost all 1-can kits require 1kg of additional fermentables. Your options are:
- 1kg brewing sugar - probably the least-desirable option
- 1kg brew enhancer - mixture of dried malt extract and sugar
- 1kg dried malt extract (DME) / spraymalt
- tin of liquid malt extract (LME), these are generally 1.5kg

I've done various experiments over the years with all of these, generally I find the tin of LME to be the best but it's also the most expensive. Only on one occasion, brewing Coopers Stout, did I find it too rich. Generally I use brew enhancer with 1-can kits and it produces reasonable results.

You could add more than 1kg to beef up the ABV but you'd be altering the ratio of additions to the pre-hopped kit, so a better way to do it is to brew short, 18-20L rather than 23L - just add less water.

You can also significantly improve these kits by adding some hops, Goldings if you like British ales or Cascade or Citra if you like US-style hoppy beers. Chuck 30-50g into the FV 5 days before bottling / kegging.

I've just done a wilko hoppy copper with one squeezy bottle of golden syrup which is around 600 grams of sugar so with the 1500 gram tin it had a OG of 1038 at 23 litres,done it like this as wanted to try and get a decent session beer as most I brew all come out over the 5% ABV

Latest posts

Back