Need help! first extract attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can anyone help?

ive steeped my grains (crystal/black) for 30 mins around 65/70C.

is it ok after sparging to boil with the rest of the wort with the hops at 100C to kill off any nasties?, or is this temp still too high overall?

Cheers:whistle:

You normally boil the hops with the malt liquor.
Its something to do with a chemical reaction called isomerisation that occurs to the hop oils in the presence of the malt liquor that will not occur if you only boil in water.
Others on here may care to expand.

cheers terry,

I thought everything would have to be boiled at 100c to kill of any potential infections?

Can anyone help?

ive steeped my grains (crystal/black) for 30 mins around 65/70C.

is it ok after sparging to boil with the rest of the wort with the hops at 100C to kill off any nasties?, or is this temp still too high overall?

Cheers:whistle:

I do steeped grains and extract, I put the lot together and boil for 15-20 mins with hops. I do a reduced volume boil (about 6 litres or so) and top up with bottled (chilled water).

with regards to adding hops in to boiling wort that will give you bitterness and kill off any bugs.

for hop flavor & taste hops need to be added to much cooler temperature wort. stick some in a santized bag at pitching time or 4 days into the ferment.

I do small 6 litre batches.
I steep my grains(bagged) in 4 litres of water for 30 mins, rinse/sparge with one litre, remove grains, bring wort to boil and add half my dry spray malt or liquid and boil the wort for 40-60 mins depending on what recipe i have done, adding hops at intervals as per recipe.
Cool in sink to around 80c add any aroma hops and stand for 20 mins, then re cool in sink .Strain through voil into FV, Add any remaining Spray malt or liquid malt top up to 6 litres stir it silly and whack the yeast in.
Works for me that is all i can say:thumb:
Hope of some help

thanks guys,

im just out of luck with ice for a bath, thought I had a bag but didn't, went out but everyone seems to be buying all the ice! came back and used the chilled 6L I planned on using for the beer. bought a few more bottles for the wort and bunged them in freezer for now.
times tickin and im worried I wont get the temp down, (been an hour now)I could put the stock pot I used in the fridge for a bit I guess.
will transferring through a syphon (with a muslin tied) be a better one over pouring the pot through a sieve as its still fairly warm?

thanks guys,

im just out of luck with ice for a bath, thought I had a bag but didn't, went out but everyone seems to be buying all the ice! came back and used the chilled 6L I planned on using for the beer. bought a few more bottles for the wort and bunged them in freezer for now.
times tickin and im worried I wont get the temp down, (been an hour now)I could put the stock pot I used in the fridge for a bit I guess.
will transferring through a syphon (with a muslin tied) be a better one over pouring the pot through a sieve as its still fairly warm?

How much liquid do you have to cool? As long as you have a lid on the wort it should be fine.

haha chub1

ive put it in the fridge, its at around 45C, ill give it an hour, hopefully by then itl be safe to transfer it

haha chub1

ive put it in the fridge, its at around 45C, ill give it an hour, hopefully by then itl be safe to transfer it
what is the total literage going to be?
Don't forget if you are topping up just use cold water and it will bring the temp down.

what is the total literage going to be?
Don't forget if you are topping up just use cold water and it will bring the temp down.

15l, but either way ive read transferring wort at a higher than pitch temp can cause off flavours. not sure if anyone has a different take on this:thumb:

mind u ive boiled kits before with fermentables (around same amount, 5l) and they went straight in and turned out ok.

think im gonna go for it

Last edited:
ok its in, aerated, pitched at 21C (coopers). just doin that goin back and forth expectin a bubble after five min thing. bunged some nutrient in so hopefully this will get a quicker response.
got a cuppa tea I reheated a couple of times during the quest for fire but now fancy a nice cold one...decisions

Cheers for all ur help men

Last edited:
ok its in, aerated, pitched at 21C (coopers). just doin that goin back and forth expectin a bubble after five min thing. bunged some nutrient in so hopefully this will get a quicker response.
got a cuppa tea I reheated a couple of times during the quest for fire but now fancy a nice cold one...decisions

Cheers for all ur help men
:thumb::thumb:

Latest posts

Back