Any Sunderland fans in?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy, Gutted, Fingers crossed.

• Happy

• Gutted

• Fingers crossed.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Happy or gutted or just hoping he can get you to a better position than you finished last season.

David Moyes has been appointed Sunderland manager on a four-year deal.

The former Everton and Manchester United boss, 53, takes charge at the Stadium of Light after Sam Allardyce left to become England manager.

"I have taken over a big British club, with a great support, and I'm looking forward to working in the Premier League again," said Moyes.

The Scot has been out of work since being sacked by Spanish club Real Sociedad in November.

Allardyce was confirmed as Roy Hodgson's successor with the national team on Friday.

Moyes was 'number one target' - chairman

Sunderland chairman Ellis Short said Moyes was "by far and away first choice" to take control of the Black Cats and that he had tried to recruit him several times before.

"He is a man whose football pedigree speaks for itself and is someone I have long admired," said Short.

"I have spoken with him on many occasions and I have always been hugely impressed.

"He was my number one managerial target for the last five appointments, but his desire to honour existing contracts meant we were not able to bring him to Sunderland previously. To be able to finally welcome him as our manager is fantastic news for the club."

"David Moyes will benefit from the structure and order Sam Allardyce brought to Sunderland and will look to get a full understanding of the club and its players.

"Cautious by nature, Moyes is an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, coach. He knows Allardyce well enough to be aware of the problems England's new manager was having trying to buy players.

"It is also worth remembering that after an excellent first full season at Everton, the second had them flirting with relegation.

"History suggests if Sunderland owner Ellis Short is patient with Moyes, he will be rewarded. Yet patience is a commodity in short supply virtually everywhere in football these days."

I am a Newcastle fan and I am delighted as Moyes has shown in his last two appointments that he is not all he is cracked up to be. He had unlimited money at Man U and failed and I reckon with his limited funds at Sunderland they will pass us going down as we are on our way back.
Never mind I will give them a wave as they go past!

I am a Newcastle fan and I am delighted as Moyes has shown in his last two appointments that he is not all he is cracked up to be. He had unlimited money at Man U and failed and I reckon with his limited funds at Sunderland they will pass us going down as we are on our way back.

I was under the impression that although he didnt win everything/anything when he was at man u he actually had good stats for a premiership manager?

David Moyes 2013 - 2014

After Sir Alex Ferguson decided to bring the curtain down on his record-breaking career with -United, Everton's David Moyes was selected as the man to bring continued success to Old Trafford.

Sadly, it didn't work out for the Scot and, like the men who'd succeeded club legends in the past, Moyes's time at the helm was disappointing and short-lived.

It started brightly for the Chosen One and a Charity Shield victory over Wigan suggested the 2013-14 season would be business as usual for the Reds.

However, results gradually went from good, to bad, to embarrassing for the Premier League champions and Moyes was eventually relieved of his duties in April 2014.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/

I was under the impression that although he didnt win everything/anything when he was at man u he actually had good stats for a premiership manager?

However he had just inherited the team that were the champions the season before so probably difficult to make a complete lash up in his first season.

He also, apparently (allegedly) against a lot of peeps advice, sacked a proven backroom team and installed his own peeps instead.

3rd best win% rate in Man U history. The "Moyes was rubbish at Man U" thing is yet another piece of media BS that everyone seems to lap up, a bit like Allardyce being a long ball playing football dinosaur, special European nights at Anfield, and 55,000 screaming Geordies!

However he had just inherited the team that were the champions the season before so probably difficult to make a complete lash up in his first season.

He also, apparently (allegedly) against a lot of peeps advice, sacked a proven backroom team and installed his own peeps instead.

Our back room team pretty much just consists of Robbie Stockdale and Paul Bracewell. Stockdale is considered one of the best young coaches in the country so as long as he keeps him he can pretty much do what he pleases with his other staff.

The Mags thought the same about Allardyce though. Allardyce was rubbish and Rafa was mint, how did that work out for you?

All depends on what Sunderland are expecting to achieve by end of the season. Personally I don't think moyes is good enough to turn them into a mid table club. I think Sunderland will be in another relegation battle which I also don't think he is good enough to escape. Steve Bruce would have been a better appointment. I also think moyes premier league confidence will have been zapped from United.

All depends on what Sunderland are expecting to achieve by end of the season. Personally I don't think moyes is good enough to turn them into a mid table club. I think Sunderland will be in another relegation battle which I also don't think he is good enough to escape. Steve Bruce would have been a better appointment. I also think moyes premier league confidence will have been zapped from United.

:lol:
I suppose he did get us to 10th last time round, not that he likes to talk about it (although we were 7th at Christmas and actually only a couple of final day results away from 15th). It's not his fault he got the sack either, it's not that he demolished the best side we'd had for years and lumbered us with Championship level players on sky high wages (a mess which has only recently been cleaned up), it's because we couldn't accept he was a Geordie - not that he likes to talk about that either!

Stockdale is considered one of the best young coaches in the country so as long as he keeps him he can pretty much do what he pleases with his other staff.

The problem with this statement is that McClaren was also rated as a great by many as coach ( I never thought this was true BTW), his results said otherwise!

Allardyce had a 33% win rate at the Toon, still slightly better than his 29% win rate of Sam at Sunderland so as long as we accept that England will only win 1 in 3 games then the country will be happy and we can go on NOT challenging for major honours

(I Wouldn't be doing my job as a Mag if I didn't have a go)

Sad to say ( well, not really) I agree with this. I still think they are in for a relegation battle.
We had a narrow escape with Bruce but chose the other numpty McClaren. Bruce has had his day at Sunderland and I think Mick would agree he left at the right time and has not really improved since then.

:lol:
I suppose he did get us to 10th last time round, not that he likes to talk about it (although we were 7th at Christmas and actually only a couple of final day results away from 15th). It's not his fault he got the sack either, it's not that he demolished the best side we'd had for years and lumbered us with Championship level players on sky high wages (a mess which has only recently been cleaned up), it's because we couldn't accept he was a Geordie - not that he likes to talk about that either!

Mick you should take solace in the fact that he has TURNED US DOON about three times, he's no Geordie roond here mate, he's from Corbridge, that's further away than Sunderland!

Sad to say ( well, not really) I agree with this. I still think they are in for a relegation battle.
We had a narrow escape with Bruce but chose the other numpty McClaren. Bruce has had his day at Sunderland and I think Mick would agree he left at the right time and has not really improved since then.

I loved him in his only full season. 10th place finish; a forward line of Gyan, Bent and Welbeck; the 3-0 win against Chelsea and Bent taking the Mickey out of Spurs.

Then he demolished that squad in the summer (can't really blame him for Welbeck and Onuoha as they weren't available for sale at that point), landing us with plodders like Vaughan and Kilgallon on long contracts and big money, let Gyan leave AFTER the transfer window, 5-1 Derby defeat, claiming fans expectations were too high, deflecting the blame away from himself constantly, no wins in 8 games.

Then since he's left he's been incredibly bitter and always looks for a dig, even in his pre Cup Final pressed!

I loved him in his only full season. 10th place finish; a forward line of Gyan, Bent and Welbeck; the 3-0 win against Chelsea and Bent taking the Mickey out of Spurs.

Then he demolished that squad in the summer (can't really blame him for Welbeck and Onuoha as they weren't available for sale at that point), landing us with plodders like Vaughan and Kilgallon on long contracts and big money, let Gyan leave AFTER the transfer window, 5-1 Derby defeat, claiming fans expectations were too high, deflecting the blame away from himself constantly, no wins in 8 games.

Then since he's left he's been incredibly bitter and always looks for a dig, even in his pre Cup Final pressed!

Expectations were too high?
Now where have I heard that one before, after all we only go to watch out teams get beat don't we

I'm a Sunderland fan and I'm happy with moyes appointment, it will be a slow process getting us to mid table.

Latest posts

Back