First Homebrew Guidance needed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa91

New Cider Brewer
Reaction score
Alright folks,

This year will be my first year making home brew, my apple trees and coming along nicely, so want to make sure I understand everything and notice any issues I may come across, any help and guidance would be welcomed.

Apples trees are producing cooking apples

We also have blackberries growing nearby, so I would like to try and bring these into the mix for my 2nd batch ?

Now, with a DIY kit you add the mixture, sugar followed by water, mix it up and ferment away, I know this won't be the case and I wan't to make sure for my first home brew it will be a good one.

• What amount of juice would I put into my fermentation bucket ? or how many kg of apples ?
  • Do i need to add water ?
  • How do i know what amount of sugar I need to add ?

The home-brew will be barrelled, a few litres will be bottled.

Any help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

J

I'll be making Cider, I have a hydrometer but really don't understand the readings even using an information booklet.

Read the thread chippy supplied looks like cooking apples are a no no for cider making...gutting news :(

I read it as mix some crushed apples or apple juice in with the crushed cooking apple juice.

one third cookers and two thirds eaters is a good balance but best to go on PH level, have a look at the link I posted above.

hydrometer.jpg

@Chippy - I was in general hoping I could use my fresh apples 100% but it would be acidic, meaning a trip to my local supermarket for each batch now :(

@Cheap - Thanks for the link, I will take a look and read up.

@Terry - Again, thanks for the link.

This looks like it's going to be a tricky one.

Back