Medicinal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrowKnee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have complex Crohn's disease and on the verge of realising if home-brew could be a genuine addition to my treatment. I've already asked if i can get Guinness on prescription but yet again i was laughed out the room.

In all seriousness though i believe there is a quality to alcohol i am yet to discover. So i thought id ask the guys in the know if they have any ideas.

I want to save you from the horror as much as possible but basically due to extensive surgery and a highly compromised digestive system i am left with a dodgy bowel at the fraction of the length. I've discovered alcohol helps clear me out when I'm in desperate need and i wish to harness that quality for appropriate treatment.

ANY insight is welcomed!

I've discovered alcohol helps clear me out when I'm in desperate need and i wish to harness that quality for appropriate treatment.

Do you mean you get constipated and need something that will help?

I find Spitfire is an excellent laxative and diuretic. Could be something to do with the water they use from their own well. In fact any of Shepherd Neame's excellent brews work for me given enough quantity.

Thank you so much.

I appreciate the concept alcohol won't help my Crohn's but the constipation needs to be addressed to ease the Crohn's and I've tried every product on the market to no success.

Any suggestions as to what the magic quality with alcohol could be? The sediment post suggests it's a product of fermentation?

Ideally I'd like to harness the quality in alcohol to try to avoid aggregating the Crohn's

Thank you so much.

I appreciate the concept alcohol won't help my Crohn's but the constipation needs to be addressed to ease the Crohn's and I've tried every product on the market to no success.

Any suggestions as to what the magic quality with alcohol could be? The sediment post suggests it's a product of fermentation?

Ideally I'd like to harness the quality in alcohol to try to avoid aggregating the Crohn's

What a lot of people say is actually pointing towards the yeast rather than teh alcohol.. when we brew the yeast is what converts the sugars into alcohol.. the yeast is alive and stays in suspension but overtime will drop out and compact causing sediment which you see in homebrew and some bottle conditioned commercial brews.

The yeast is alive fungus and normally drinking yeast beer will help your bowels move along..

I've been advised sugar can help, which is why I considered "alcohol". Having tried spirits to no effect I considered it would need to be brewed. Thankyou for highlighting that it's the yeast that converts the sugar.

I will be trying previous recommendations but as they usually do "3 for.." deals are there any other suggestions to a suitable drink?

What a lot of people say is actually pointing towards the yeast rather than teh alcohol.. when we brew the yeast is what converts the sugars into alcohol.. the yeast is alive and stays in suspension but overtime will drop out and compact causing sediment which you see in homebrew and some bottle conditioned commercial brews.

The yeast is alive fungus and normally drinking yeast beer will help your bowels move along..

Bottle conditioned beers should do the trick then, shouldn't it?

I've been advised sugar can help, which is why I considered "alcohol". Having tried spirits to no effect I considered it would need to be brewed. Thankyou for highlighting that it's the yeast that converts the sugar.

I will be trying previous recommendations but as they usually do "3 for.." deals are there any other suggestions to a suitable drink?

Most commercial beers are filtered and contain no yeast and the ones that contain yeast have miniscule amounts. Cloudy/yeasty (commercial) beer puts the buying public off as most people are conditioned to think that crystal clear beer is better so breweries tend to filter it out

It may be better to brew your own as you get a lot more yeast in home brew as HBers tend not to filter there beer.

Edit: Actually micro breweries often cant afford the equipement to filter there beer so it's often quite yeasty (bottle conditioned). Try some beer from your nearest micro - the smaller the better

I've been prescribed yeast tablets in the past - they are a good source of some B complex vitamins. Maybe the Doc might not feel you taking the mickey if you suggest that?

Thankfully Slid I've switched from that quack, but I will ask new gp about use of yeast.

beer seems like could be a solutin for a change, just need to know how to add my 5 a day and I might be onto a winner!

I got a couple of spitfire in and noticed good rumbles for a change.

Thanks again

Thankfully Slid I've switched from that quack, but I will ask new gp about use of yeast.

beer seems like could be a solutin for a change, just need to know how to add my 5 a day and I might be onto a winner!

I got a couple of spitfire in and noticed good rumbles for a change.

Thanks again

Hops are veggies ;)

Also raspberry witbier
Cherry stout
Cider

Wash your blueberry muffin down with them and you're well on your way.

Thank you all for your insight and patience. Spitfire seems to be one for the medicine cabinet, please chalk one up for marlon!

Once I've refreshed my understanding of brewing no doubt I'll be back for tips. I seriously can't thank you all enough :)

Back