All Grain - Mandarina Bavaria Single Hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thodd

Reaction score
So - this is a Single Hop Beer using nothing but Mandarina Bavaria as I'm really interested to see how this Hop tastes on its own.
I bought a pre-measured mash kit from GeterBrewed as it seemed much easier - all the hops were pellets provided in "tea bags" which I thought would be really easy.
I'm not 100% sure what the grain consists of which but by the colour of the resulting wort I'm guessing there is some darker Crystal mixed in with it. I emailed GeterBrewed to ask for more details of what was in the grain but they have yet to reply.

5.4kg Grain
Mandarina Bavaria 10g @ 60 mins
Mandarina Bavaria 10g @ 45 mins
Mandarina Bavaria 20g @ 30 mins
Mandarina Bavaria 20g @ 15 mins
Mandarina Bavaria 20g @ 10 mins
Mandarina Bavaria 20g @ 0 mins
(Bought an Extra 50g to Dry Hop with as well)
S-05 yeast

So the play of the day was as follows:

Heated up 13.5 litres of water to 75 degrees which I added to the Mash Tun:

IMG_3543.jpg

I then slowly added the 5.4 kg of Grain to the water stirring as I went to avoid clumping.

IMG_3544.jpg

The resulting temperature in the Mash Tun was 67 Degrees which is luckily what I was aiming for. The lid went on, and I mashed for 60 mins (giving a little stir half way through)
Whilst the Mash did its thing - I heated up an addition 14.5 litres of Water to 80 Degrees for the sparge.
After the Mash I did a quick vorlauf and the wort ran clear so I let it run through:

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

I added the full 14.6 litres of Sparge water for a batch sparge - and you can see in the image below the colour of the Wort which make me think there is more than just standard Maris Otter in the grain that they provided.

IMG_3549.jpg

I had 21.5 litres of liquid to play with at this point and brought the wort up to the boil to start the Hop Additions - you can see the pre-measured Hop Tea bags that were provided. I thought these would save me a load of hassle and mess when I cleaned up - apart from the fact 3 of the bags ripped in the boil leaving a full on gunk around my Bazooka in the kettle :doh:

IMG_3553.jpg

Anyway - the resulting outcome was 18 litres (I lost a bit to the pellet gunk in the kettle blocking the bazooka) with a Gravity of 1051. You can see the floaty hop pellet bits I wasn't able to remove from the wort in the image below. I'm not worried about though as I'm sure it will happily fall out over the next few weeks whilst it ferments.

IMG_3555.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one - I have to say I didn't really smell the famous Tangerine aroma from the hops, either before they went in, during or after the boil. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.
Once its all bottled and conditioned - I'll post an update with how it tastes :thumb:

Cheers Sbond - do you think the extra 50g I got for dry hopping is not necessary if the tangerine is as strong as you got?

Cheers Sbond - do you think the extra 50g I got for dry hopping is not necessary if the tangerine is as strong as you got?

I threw 25g dry hops in so 50 should Deffo give ypu a kick I add columbus as a bittering hop as the instructions I got were very vague and I got bags of different weight so had to guess

I finally got a reply from GeterBrewed regarding the grains used in this - they basically said they won't provide any details as to what grains they have provided as their "Master Brewer" doesn't want to disclose his recipe.
:-(

So its been conditioning in the bottle for a week, and I've had a quick sample by opening one.

I've named it Tangerine Skidmark.

It has a dark rounded roasted aroma from the malt but I'm not getting much from the Madarina Bavaria hops on the nose.

Can taste a Tangerine-y peel bitterness to it (however if I didn't know this is what I was looking for I think I would be pushed to recognise it) - and it has a nice full dry mouthfeel with a lingering bitterness - almost a dark chocolate aftertaste.

Not what I was expecting but still very pleasant and I'll enjoy seeing how the aging process changes it profile.

Mandarina Bavaria.jpg

I finally got a reply from GeterBrewed regarding the grains used in this - they basically said they won't provide any details as to what grains they have provided as their "Master Brewer" doesn't want to disclose his recipe.
:-(

If you play around with brewing software like Brew Mate or similar, you can get quite close to the malt side of a recipe if you know that it is Base Malt, Crystal and Chocolate.

My baseline guess is:

Pale malt 5kg
Dark Crystal 250g
Chocolate 250g

The hopping side is the modern part of brewing that is the main concern on the forums across the world.

Latest posts

Back