I need to go to Spec Savers!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
I had a cider kit bought for me, says cider in 48 hours, simple add yeast then add water, however it was black on red writing and I read it as add 10 pints of water, where in fact it is add 18 pints of water, when I went to Wilko and saw other versions on the shelf I realised my error.

So returned home and added the extra 7 pints, 8 pints would not fit, so how will this effect the time required? Wanted it ready for weekend, holding at 19.5°C to 20°C in an old freezer. Want it out by weekend one as likely will be people wanting cider at my house, and two want to start a Stout by weekend so need the freezer space.

Cider in 48 hours? Not really, I'm afraid.

I am not familiar with the kit you are describing, but would not hold out any hope whatsoever of having anything drinkable in this sort of timescale. As you appear to be new to brewing, I actually have to point out that what you could have by Saturday could be positively harmful as well as not very pleasant.

It will take weeks, not days, unfortunately.

I have made cider from apples, used a juicer and it took a good 6 months before it could be drunk. In real terms more like a year. Which is why rather surprised that this kit says 48 hours. Also every kit I have done gives the temperature range, this one just says room temperature.

There was a liquid in the unit which clearly should have been diluted with 18 pints of water, however I used just 10 pints. The other 7 pints were added latter. Now I know with beer reducing the water lifts the ABV but gives a bitter after taste. But I have never tried adding water after starting the brew.

Like kit Lagers this is not a real cider, it is some method of simulating a cider taste using some concentrate. I am timing from point where extra water has been added so should be ready Wednesday. I want to drink on Saturday so that's an extra 3 days, over twice the time required with instructions. There was a lot of yeast in the packet, so it could be ready.

But what is room temperature?

No kit no longer shown on the Wilko web site did say some thing like Victors Apple Cider 20 Pint - Create your own delicious Victor's Drinks apple cider with this easy to use kit. Just add water and the yeast provided and after only 48 hours etc. But link is now no longer. Maybe that is why it is being sold off cheap well not that cheap works out 75p a pint, the one you show makes 40 pints so around 40p a pint. The attached yeast packet was rather large, it also came with funnel for filling. You pulled out the tap at bottom first, then removed cap at top, poured in yeast and then filled with water. You did not add any sugar or any other fermentable that was already in the box. You removed seal and added yeast and water only. See this advert
912Moe7ziYL._SY500_.jpg
because red back ground I miss read add 18 pints as add 10 pints of water.

Last edited by a moderator:

When sizing heating systems for housing/office spacing the room temp will vary depending on the room and what its purpose is, a hallway for example will be sized to heat it to 18c, a living room will be sized to get it to 21c. I would assume your cider kit is between those 2 numbers. Mid summer temps are going to vary wildly with the weather and what rooms face north, south, east or west.

When sizing heating systems for housing/office spacing the room temp will vary depending on the room and what its purpose is, a hallway for example will be sized to heat it to 18c, a living room will be sized to get it to 21c. I would assume your cider kit is between those 2 numbers. Mid summer temps are going to vary wildly with the weather and what rooms face north, south, east or west.
I have set the freezer to maintain the box at 19.5°C to 20°C which is the temperature used for my beer, looking at the energy meter the freezer had to do some work to maintain that temperature so if it did not have a controlled temperature likely it would have reached 25°C at least.

The idea seems good, it is basic wine in a box system where the alcohol is generated in your home so tax free. It was on offer so cheaper than normal, but still works out at around a £1 a pint which is not really cheap for home brew. Not a clue as to ABV so in a couple of days I can try it.

Ciders are an interesting point as cheapo shop white ciders at 7.5% are only marginally more expensive than what we can brew for from shop bought juice. The nasty shop whites only need a small amount of apple in them to count as cider and even the simplest turbo cider that any of us make is infinitely superior (by turbo I mean recipe and supermarket juice, not turbo yeast).

They sell this stuff cheap when they need to boost toilet paper sales!! :eek:

Seriously though, if I drank this on Saturday, I doubt I would have enough time to log on for an update :oops:

Buy some supermarket stuff to tide you over and leave it a bit (a lot!) longer :drink:

Either way, keep us updated :thumb:

I have made cider from apples, used a juicer and it took a good 6 months before it could be drunk. In real terms more like a year. Which is why rather surprised that this kit says 48 hours. Also every kit I have done gives the temperature range, this one just says room temperature.

There was a liquid in the unit which clearly should have been diluted with 18 pints of water, however I used just 10 pints. The other 7 pints were added latter. Now I know with beer reducing the water lifts the ABV but gives a bitter after taste. But I have never tried adding water after starting the brew.

Like kit Lagers this is not a real cider, it is some method of simulating a cider taste using some concentrate. I am timing from point where extra water has been added so should be ready Wednesday. I want to drink on Saturday so that's an extra 3 days, over twice the time required with instructions. There was a lot of yeast in the packet, so it could be ready.

Very relieved to learn that you are clearly experienced enough not to cause much damage.

So, I am "+1" on doing as Baggybill-the-sensible suggests and get yourself down to the supermarket where you can get very nice and very drinkable stuff for as little as £2-3 for 2 Litres and no issues. (No White Lightening, though).

I really do apologise for the slightly patronising tone of these remarks, but you cannot, in any sane version of reality, serve that sort of stuff up to guests.

I would not have bought the kit, my idea of home brew is cheap booze, if it is not a lot cheaper than ready made then not worth the effort. I made 6 bottles of wine from a kit, Solomon Grundy I seem to remember which worked out at around £2.30 a bottle, for £3 I can buy fortified wine which to me tastes better so never done again. However I did 6 bottles of Prohibition liquor and the taste was A1 and to buy over the counter 20% ABV would be at least £10 a bottle so £14 for £60 worth of booze, well worth the effort.

Same with beer, 40 pints for £20 is 50p a pint well worth the effort. But last time I went down South it was costing £1.20 a gallon likely costs more now, but A1 cider is not expensive, the kit was very little cheaper than buying from the farm. OK a trip down South is required, but I would enjoy the trip.

At the moment I am debating kicking one can kits to touch, the beer enhancer, or spray dried malt brings the price to near the same as two can kits so hardly worth it. I have two or three single can kits left, once them are done likely it will be all twin can kits.

Back