Grapefruit health dangers!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“A breakfast of grapefruit and marmalade on toast could be lethal for people taking medication”

I think it could be lethal even if you were not taking medication. :lol:

I spoke to my doctor regarding this. I take cholesterol medication and here in Australia they put a sticker on the box warning you not to have grapefruit.
My doctor said not to worry about it. I wasn't worried and still don't.
I don't drink as much grapefruit juice as I used to anyway.

Grapefruit can lessen the effects of some medications. It doesn't make them toxic or anything. Most statin drugs are weakened by grapefruit and star fruit. But it won't kill you. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapefruit can lessen the effects of some medications. It doesn't make them toxic or anything. Most statin drugs are weakened by grapefruit and star fruit. But it won't kill you. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my understanding was if you were taking a 50mg pill your body might absorb /digest 30mg of that over a given time.

If you drink grapefruit juice your body will absorb / digest a greater amount over a shorter period.

Doctors prescribe 50mg knowing your body will only get a % of that.
Drinking grapefruit juice means you will be getting a higher dosage.

As I said my doctor didn't worry at the time. I've since changed Doc's. I'll ask the new one I see next visit.

I never seen the point of eating grapefruit myself, you need to put so much sugar on it to make it edible that I'd have thought it becomes pretty unhealthy at that stage anyway :)

Thing that gets me is that in elderly care homes etc, they force feed them grapefruit everyday and a lot of medication they take are suseptible to the action of grapefruit. So everyday they are building up overdose levels of the medication, surely this is some form of euthanasia.

Also limes also have this, the unsuspecting drinker could overdose on their medication without realising, the list of medications that can be affected by this are being added everyday.

Have a google if you have concerns.

a few links

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2015FruitInteractions.htm

https://www.pharmacist.com/juice-interactions-what-patients-need-know

I never seen the point of eating grapefruit myself, you need to put so much sugar on it to make it edible that I'd have thought it becomes pretty unhealthy at that stage anyway :)

If you like grapefruit, I do, then the point of eating it exactly the bitter, sour taste you get without adding any sugar. If you have to put sugar on then try eating oranges or something a bit less bitter for your taste.

The biggest issue with grapefruit is that they sting a bit if you get them mixed up with your suppositories.

The biggest issue with grapefruit is that they sting a bit if you get them mixed up with your suppositories.

I worked for a Pharma company where we made paracetamol/codeine suppositories ( apparently they are big in France in terms of market share that is!). In order to extend the range I suggested maybe fruit flavoured suppositories (grapefruit maybe?) or effervescent suppositories to make them more acceptable to the UK market.
Strangely no one took my idea seriously!

You certainly shouldn't eat/drink grapefruit whilst on Amlodipine (which is used to lower blood pressure) I know this from personal experience......

My BP was up to 190/100 at one point, so I was put on a fairly heavy dose of Lisinopril and Amlodipine to try and control it. I was told to take heed of the warning regarding Amplodipine as it reacts with the grapefruit and can cause your blood pressure to drop too far.

When on holiday in the Canaries, I forgot and was drinking a litre of grapefruit juice every morning (I love the stuff). :doh:
I always had a bit of an issue with swollen ankles whilst on the meds ( a common side effect), but now I was feeling faint and my ankles swelled up like balloons. Took me two days to twig what was happening, binned the grapefruit juice and back to normal a couple of days later.

Never again.....

I love grapefruit!

The bitterness comes from the white pith and skin, if you take the time to remove it all and release the beautiful supremes you may find yourself liking them after all!

The Spruce Eats has an interesting take on this using a knife, but I love nothing more than simply peeling a grapefruit with my hands and puling away the outer casing of each segment, yes it takes a little time, but you soon get good at it and it's by far the best way to eat a grapefruit in my opinion.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-section-citrus-fruits-2216975
I am curious if anyone has ever used the separate parts of the fruit for different parts of the beer making process for both bitterness and sweetness?

Happy fifth birthday to the thread :laugh8: ;)

You'll notice strange characters in posts from back then i think this must have been from the old forum before we moved.

ââ¬ÅA breakfast of grapefruit and marmalade on toast could be lethal for people taking medicationââ¬Â

haha wow, I didn't notice....

At least I am searching instead of just creating new threads??? 😂

Or is the preference for new threads here? I don't mind either way!!

haha wow, I didn't notice....
At least I am searching instead of just creating new threads??? 😂
Or is the preference for new threads here? I don't mind either way!!

To be honest we have never been arsey about searching (i know some forums are) if you search and find something a few years old probably better to start a new one but either way is fine.

To be honest we have never been arsey about searching (i know some forums are) if you search and find something a few years old probably better to start a new one but either way is fine.

Ooh lovely. I am glad to hear this!!

Yes I agree, it's all about keeping the conversation flowing, all is good!

006.JPG

My tree produces so much fruit, probably because it is next to the compost bin I have to give them away. Apparently it is the pith which can either reduce or amplify the effect of medications. I can't eat them they give me gout in the thumbs. Seville oranges are the same, the only citrus from my garden I can eat are my Honey Murcott's, lemons and limes.
001.JPG

I give away boxes and boxes like this. So sweet to used to love juicing them and drinking the juice after cooling in the fridge.:( Such is life.

View attachment 57920
My tree produces so much fruit, probably because it is next to the compost bin I have to give them away. Apparently it is the pith which can either reduce or amplify the effect of medications. I can't eat them they give me gout in the thumbs. Seville oranges are the same, the only citrus from my garden I can eat are my Honey Murcott's, lemons and limes.
View attachment 57921
I give away boxes and boxes like this. So sweet to used to love juicing them and drinking the juice after cooling in the fridge.:( Such is life.

Wow... where do you live?

Latest posts

Back