simple AG recipe, with torrified wheat or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have made a couple of AG BIAB brews now and ironed out some of my mistakes as I've gone along.

I am going to making a BIAB 5ltr batch of a simple SmaSh using Maris Otter and Cascade. Just to add body I was thinking of adding a small amount of torrified wheat just to aid head retention.

Has anyone done a similar brew? and what might I expect in clarity and taste?

The reason for my using torrified wheat other than say Carapils is I have some in my cupboard ready to go.

My grain bill will be

1KG Marris Otter
200g Torrified Wheat

Seep for 1hr @ 67C
Boil for 1hr

Cascade 8.5g at start of boil
4.5g last 15 mins
4.5g last 5 mins
13g at flame out

3g of Safale 05 as my yeast.

Thanks in advance

Daf

Looks likes good idea to me. Although you are using 20% there which is quite a lot, some people can detect an odd flavour from too much torrified wheat. I'd drop it to 5/10%.
Also, the wheat won't add body, if anything it'll reduce body as it makes a very light ale. Anything that leaves unfermentables (dextrins) in the beer is what adds body, so things like carapils, crystal malts, vienna etc.

About 5% wheat is enough to aid head retention but lots of people don't like the taste of torrified wheat (think shreddies) and so sub wheat malt or flaked wheat.
You could do a MO and cascade smash and mash a little higher for added body.

Looks likes good idea to me. Although you are using 20% there which is quite a lot, some people can detect an odd flavour from too much torrified wheat. I'd drop it to 5/10%.
Also, the wheat won't add body, if anything it'll reduce body as it makes a very light ale. Anything that leaves unfermentables (dextrins) in the beer is what adds body, so things like carapils, crystal malts, vienna etc.

Thanks for the reply, I really wasn't sure whether 20% was slightly high. I shall lessen that by half and use 100g. A hoppy light beer with decent head sounds like the basis of a good plan and just in time for our Indian Summer when the kids are back at school. :lol:

About 5% wheat is enough to aid head retention but lots of people don't like the taste of torrified wheat (think shreddies) and so sub wheat malt or flaked wheat.
You could do a MO and cascade smash and mash a little higher for added body.

Cheers mate, 5% it is then. I shall give this a go as I need to use the TW. By mashing a little higher do you mean temperature?

Yeah 68° will leave some more residual sugars which add body.

nice tips
. Im reading TW should be no greater than 10% for ales.
I may up the steeped grains too just to be sure the beer doesn't come out too thin.

cheers

nice tips
. Im reading TW should be no greater than 10% for ales.
I may up the steeped grains too just to be sure the beer doesn't come out too thin.

cheers

Just for clarification ( I am sure you meant the mash) but are you talking about the base malts in a mash? I know the processes are similar but often when people refer to "steeping" grains it is often referring to specialty grains like crystal or chocolate malts ect

If it helps I would highly recommend if you haven't already getting some brewing software (brewmate or whether it works now brewers friend)..

I use 10% TW as a rule for head retention an haven't noticed any odd flavours as I don't like overly malty beers. A small percentage of flaked oats will help with body as this is used in stouts, say 8-10% TW and 6% flaked oats

I also brew with Marris otter as my beer base too

Hi guys

I have made a couple of AG BIAB brews now and ironed out some of my mistakes as I've gone along.

I am going to making a BIAB 5ltr batch of a simple SmaSh using Maris Otter and Cascade. Just to add body I was thinking of adding a small amount of torrified wheat just to aid head retention.

Has anyone done a similar brew? and what might I expect in clarity and taste?

The reason for my using torrified wheat other than say Carapils is I have some in my cupboard ready to go.

My grain bill will be

1KG Marris Otter
200g Torrified Wheat

Seep for 1hr @ 67C
Boil for 1hr

Cascade 8.5g at start of boil
4.5g last 15 mins
4.5g last 5 mins
13g at flame out

3g of Safale 05 as my yeast.

Thanks in advance

Daf

does the yeast keep well after being opened and used another time?

Just for clarification ( I am sure you meant the mash) but are you talking about the base malts in a mash? I know the processes are similar but often when people refer to "steeping" grains it is often referring to specialty grains like crystal or chocolate malts ect

If it helps I would highly recommend if you haven't already getting some brewing software (brewmate or whether it works now brewers friend)..
hi mate

I just thought overall more grains either the steeping or mash type would provide more body and make a beer less thin.
I will prob use brew mate as Im informed it works well with one can kits (brands)
if not ill just add the can as dark LME

does the yeast keep well after being opened and used another time?

I am luck in that I have access to a vacuum sealer so once I have done my brew(s) I pop down to see a mate and seal everything.

This brew seems to be fermenting ok. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet as its in a 5 litre demijohn and I haven't got a pipette type instrument yet, but most of the sediment has sunk to the bottom and my blow off tube was busy for the first 5 days.

I've tried a bottle of this tonight 14 days after bottling. I placed it in the fridge for 24hrs, it opened with a wonderful hiss, not disturbing the sediment at the bottom. After pouring there was a prominent head.

Taste test, nicely hoppy but certainly not overbearing and head retention was great.

I'm really happy with this brew and the 5% of torrified wheat used was just right.

As with each brew there were some things to tweak but I will definitely be doing this one again.

I drank the final bottle of this 5 litre batch on the 21st Sept, 6 weeks after bottling. It was a really great light beer. Lovely white head with great retention, slightly hoppy and not overbearing.

I will be doing another similar one but on this occasion I will add an additional hop and add a small amount of flaked oats.

Back