mixing malt extract with AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a Brupacks Pride of Yorkshire, Colne Valley Bitter which is a 2 x tin pack. I was playing with the idea of splitting the pack and to use 1 x tin and adding some AG.

Has anyone had a go at doing something similar, or could advise me as to where I could do some research.

Thanks in advance.

Daf

hi daf

I've only done one extract/steeped grains but this weekend hopefully doing a partial mash. ill be using LME (rayners). so I can't see any difference in what your about to do. ill be using around the same amount assuming Ur tins are 1.5kg?
I'm not familiar with the kit but Tbh if it was a good kit like the st peters ruby,id personally just add some steeped grains. I was considering one tin but felt in the end I was doing a disservice to the manufacturer/brewery to the complete recipe
saying that it maybe a good thing. keep us updated

Chris

Last edited:
hi daf

I've only done one extract/steeped grains but this weekend hopefully doing a partial mash. ill be using LME (rayners). so I can't see any difference in what your about to do. ill be using around the same amount assuming Ur tins are 1.5kg?
I'm not familiar with the kit but Tbh if it was a good kit like the st peters ruby,id personally just add some steeped grains. I was considering one tin but felt in the end I was doing a disservice to the manufacturer/brewery to the complete recipe
saying that it maybe a good thing. keep us updated

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. It is a 2 x 1.5kg tin pack which is a pretty good beer. I have found some research material regarding this topic so have briefed myself up. It recommends using both tins with a few steeped grains, one tin at start of the boil and the other towards the end.

I have previously made a St Peters Ruby Red and you're spot on it, was a great beer. I found it took a little longer than some beers to clear and condition, but once there it was great.

Just need to decide what style of beer I want and the hops, what a fantastic predicament to be in! :grin::grin:

It sound like your going to use both tins in the end. But it you use only one tin and add grains you'll only be getting half the hops/and bitterness as the IBU's (bitterness) will be spread over both tins

Back