Homebrewer's meet up. Northampton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davereal

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all.spoke to the guy who owns Beer Guerrilla, a new off licence/ tap room type thing, just opened in Northampton. Really sound and up for having a meet up, once a month for homebrewers, If enough interest. Bottle/ recipe swap ,chit chat, etc.Yonny from copper kettle,who's also a homebrewer will be there. i'm looking forward to it. Talking homebrew usually has the family and dog doing that pretend yawn.1st one's on thursday the 11th. best to check their facebook. Cheers , dave

That's great. I had been thinking myself of suggesting setting up local get togethers because I know there's a number of home brewers on this and other forums from Northampton and surrounds.
Count me in, I'll be making every effort to be there on 11th.:thumb:

Good man.same as you, I know a couple of brewers in town and think some on here from northants had a bottle swap awhile back, somewhere near brackley maybe. Good to have a venue in Numpty and for me, a 2 minute walk away. It's on the welly rd next to a new pub, the Lighthouse. See you there.

Hi doug.Just thought, if you got anything ready at the minute, would you be up for bottle swap?I've got a porter, pretty much a fullers clone, a golden ale with chinook, centennial and cascade and an amber user up ale with northdown, progress centennial and chinook. All half decent. If you haven't any on the go at the moment, i'll bring one down for you anyway, just give us the heads up which one you fancy. Cheers, Dave

Good idea, i'll keep in mind. What's the in's and out's for sending bottles in the post? Packaging etc. Sure i've seen a few threads with other members posting bottles. If you can put me in the right direction. thanks in advance. Dave

Good idea, i'll keep in mind. What's the in's and out's for sending bottles in the post? Packaging etc. Sure i've seen a few threads with other members posting bottles. If you can put me in the right direction. thanks in advance. Dave

This is what i posted when i added bottle swap to the forum title -

If you would like to try a certain type of beer feel free to ask if any members have a bottle to swap, if you have a spare bottle you would like to swap why not post what you have and see if you get any offers.

If you post what you have and say you do not have any packaging you may get an answer from a member that does have packaging as a few of them recently bought a load of it in a group buy here.

The idea is they send you a bottle and you send them yours in their packaging, this way you get your swap and they get their packaging back for the next swap.

There are already a couple of offers in the forum which you may want to try.

Bottle swaps can be found here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Hi doug.Just thought, if you got anything ready at the minute, would you be up for bottle swap?I've got a porter, pretty much a fullers clone, a golden ale with chinook, centennial and cascade and an amber user up ale with northdown, progress centennial and chinook. All half decent. If you haven't any on the go at the moment, i'll bring one down for you anyway, just give us the heads up which one you fancy. Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave
I've got an Apollo IPA from a HBC grain kit that I'm quite pleased with, I'll bring some along. I've also got a Yorkshire Bitter that should be conditioned by then, although I was a bit disappointed with the head on that one when I tried an early sample. I'll see what it's like given a little more time.
Popped into Beer Guerrilla earlier this evening and was very impressed with their range of bottled beers and draft beers to either drink or buy in a growler. Unusual to find an off licence/bar where you can enjoy a beer in nice surroundings while deciding what to buy. Think I may be calling in there quite regularly, particularly as my son lives just around the corner.

Sorry to go "Off Topic" but as everyone looking at this Thread is from Northampton could you please let me know whether or not the A43 from Northampton > Oxford is still closed.

It normally takes about 5 hours (with a stop) to drive from Portsmouth to Skegness. However, it took us 9 hours to drive from Portsmouth to Skegness last November due to A34 and A43 closures and diversions.

When we did it again in May I told SWMBO "They will surely have the roads open now after nearly seven months." Wrong! The A43 was still closed off, the diversion was along country roads and it took us 8 hours!

Hello mate, Open i think. I work in Brackley ,so defo till there.Also went that way to Portsmouth early summer in 2 hours and a half

Hi Dave
I've got an Apollo IPA from a HBC grain kit that I'm quite pleased with, I'll bring some along. I've also got a Yorkshire Bitter that should be conditioned by then, although I was a bit disappointed with the head on that one when I tried an early sample. I'll see what it's like given a little more time.
Popped into Beer Guerrilla earlier this evening and was very impressed with their range of bottled beers and draft beers to either drink or buy in a growler. Unusual to find an off licence/bar where you can enjoy a beer in nice surroundings while deciding what to buy. Think I may be calling in there quite regularly, particularly as my son lives just around the corner.
Hi doug, that sounds good.I'll bring a porter and a blonde ale . Bit low on stocks as haven'y been brewing for a month or so and probably not for another month. Had an op on my shoulder yesterday,so no lifting 8kg of grain and 2 f.v's up and down the stairs for a bit and my brew mate has inconsideratly jibbed off to ireland on holiday for a month .As you said mate, a sound little place and only 2 minutes walk for me.

P.S. Maybe put the yorkie back in the warm for few days. Or the old trick of pour in to a pint , pour a bit into another glass then chuck it back in.

Hello mate, Open i think. I work in Brackley ,so defo till there.Also went that way to Portsmouth early summer in 2 hours and a half

Many thanks. :thumb: :thumb:

The GPS gives "Quickest" as being via the M25 but I prefer the A34/A43 route for what is normally a quieter trundle without drama!

Will give it a whirl in September! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi doug, really nice to meet you. Think that went well. Meeting other geeks, er enthusiasts , Talking beer while drinking beer. Win win.Enjoyed your apollo but really pleasently surprised with your yorkie, loads of body and a nice bitterness to it at 4ish %. lovely drop. I've just been brewing mid 5's american types lately and forgot about how good a pint of bitter really is. Cheers.Your lad just lives at the top of my road, so if your visiting and want to pop in mine , have a look at my basic set up, or pint down the road , your most welcome, or hopefully see you at the next meet. cheers, dave

Hi doug, really nice to meet you. Think that went well. Meeting other geeks, er enthusiasts , Talking beer while drinking beer. Win win.Enjoyed your apollo but really pleasently surprised with your yorkie, loads of body and a nice bitterness to it at 4ish %. lovely drop. I've just been brewing mid 5's american types lately and forgot about how good a pint of bitter really is. Cheers.Your lad just lives at the top of my road, so if your visiting and want to pop in mine , have a look at my basic set up, or pint down the road , your most welcome, or hopefully see you at the next meet. cheers, dave

Hi Dave
Yeah really enjoyed the meet up, great venue, great bunch of guys and looking forward to future meets and getting to know everyone better. Think I was probably one of the more junior in terms of experience so hoping to learn from other guys' knowledge and finding out what kit everyone's using.
Glad you enjoyed my bottles and I too was surprised how much everyone liked my Yorkshire bitter. As you say it probably makes a change from all the hop forward beers. It was straight from the Greg Hughes book just with the addition of 20g First Gold dry hop, although I'm not sure that added an awful lot.
I've now tried both your bottles, the Slack Ass Amber (or should that be Slack Alice lol) was very good and I particularly liked the London Porter with plenty of coffee flavours going on.
Cheers

Hi doug , Cheers. The porter was a sort of fullers clone with pale,crystal,black and chocolate malts with e.k.g. and fuggles. I split into two batches , one with notty ,the other with safale 04 or 05, can't remember what one's the english ale yeast. the safale one's o.k, if a little subdued, but the notty one you had , you get coffee coming threw more.one to do again ,i think.I'll see you at the next one buddy. i'd think in 2 or 3 weeks.

Hi Dave
Went over to Copper Kettle on Tuesday. Yonny's away on holiday for a couple of weeks now, he thought probably 2 months til the next one. No reason we can't meet for a pint and a beer chat though. :drink:

Latest posts

Back