Orange Juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate_Pete

Landlord.
Reaction score
12 Litres Aldi Orange Juice 10% sugar.
100 grams Sugar
Tannin, strong cup of tea with 3 tea bags
2 tsp Glycerine
2 tsp Citric Acid
2 tsp Pectolase
4 grams CL23 champagne yeast
2i70htd.jpg

Just warmed 2 litres of OJ up a little to dissolve the sugar. Added it all to my 15 litre FV. Sprinkled the yeast on top. Put it in the brew fridge at 20C

I'd never intended to make this until I read this thread.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64029
Anyhow for one or two reasons I decided to make it.
I'm going to bottle this with about 9 grams of sugar per litre so it'll end up sparkling.

I've always put malic acid in my ciders, but tonyhibbett suggested citric acid for orange. A quick google found that indeed, people do use citric acid in orange wine so I thought I'd give it a go.

I don't usually go to Aldi. However I've been told their juice is actually made by a well known brand here in Australia. I bought a couple of bottles. My son says the apple juice is great, but the apple and mango awful. I had a mouthful of this, and I wouldn't say it's the best orange juice, but then again I don't drink it very often.

12 Litres Aldi Orange Juice 10% sugar.
100 grams Sugar
Tannin, strong cup of tea with 3 tea bags
2 tsp Glycerine
2 tsp Citric Acid
2 tsp Pectolase
4 grams CL23 champagne yeast
2i70htd.jpg

Just warmed 2 litres of OJ up a little to dissolve the sugar. Added it all to my 15 litre FV. Sprinkled the yeast on top. Put it in the brew fridge at 20C

I'd never intended to make this until I read this thread.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64029
Anyhow for one or two reasons I decided to make it.
I'm going to bottle this with about 9 grams of sugar per litre so it'll end up sparkling.

I've always put malic acid in my ciders, but tonyhibbett suggested citric acid for orange. A quick google found that indeed, people do use citric acid in orange wine so I thought I'd give it a go.

I don't usually go to Aldi. However I've been told their juice is actually made by a well known brand here in Australia. I bought a couple of bottles. My son says the apple juice is great, but the apple and mango awful. I had a mouthful of this, and I wouldn't say it's the best orange juice, but then again I don't drink it very often.

couldnt you just use lemon or lime juice instead of using the citric acid - i just ask as i can just go to a grocer's to get that instead of having to wait for it to arrive from the great interwebs

couldnt you just use lemon or lime juice instead of using the citric acid - i just ask as i can just go to a grocer's to get that instead of having to wait for it to arrive from the great interwebs

Citric acid was in my local supermarket. Near the cake making stuff.
The packet says "great as a Lemon Juice substitute. Quarter of a teaspoon is equal to one tablespoon of Lemon Juice".
Just checked and you should be able to get it at Tesco.

Citric acid was in my local supermarket. Near the cake making stuff.
The packet says "great as a Lemon Juice substitute. Quarter of a teaspoon is equal to one tablespoon of Lemon Juice".
Just checked and you should be able to get it at Tesco.

nice1, and i suppose once you have the citric acid powder it wont go off either

nice1, and i suppose once you have the citric acid powder it wont go off either

Well the beauty of the powder is it will be there if I need it.
If I have lemon or lime juice in the fridge I tend to put a couple of squirts in mineral water on my two alcohol free days.
Pretty sure in the long run the powder would be cheaper too.

Oh yeah, forgot to take a gravity reading when I started. I don't think I've used a hydrometer this year
picard.gif

*Day three and bubbling away nicely. The brew fridge is in the garage and the garage smells all orangey.

I've had to move this out of the fridge yesterday because some beer has gone in. I've had it with a heater belt set at 18C and covered with a blanket.

Fermentation seems to have stopped already. I've bumped the setting up to 20C to see if I can get it bubbling again. There's a huge amount of sediment at the bottom of the FV.

Temperature in the garage was 14C by the way

Bottled this today. It was very clear, until I put the syphon in and stirred it up a bit. Just a bit.
There was a LOT of sediment in the FV. I had removed the tap in this FV, but having stirred up the sediment a bit today, I think I'll put the tap back in.
I did consider racking it and leaving it for a while to settle again. However decided I couldn't be bothered.

I did have a quick taste and to be honest it was not very orangey. I bit "thin".

The first time I fermented grapefruit juice I added more when bottling. Although this created more sediment in the bottle
I think it might add flavour. I think I should have done this with the orange.

I've been thinking I should update this and as someone has asked me how it turned up here you go.

First of all I fermented it in a 15 litre FV that I normally have a tap on. For for reason I'd taken the tap off. When I put the syphon in it stirred up a bit of sediment. Anyhow I carried on and bottled it. This resulted in a bit too much sediment in the bottles. Next time I might put a bit of gelatine in or rack it.

I tried a bottle the other week. To be honest I didn't think it was very orangey. I'll try another one this weekend and taste again. At the time of tasting my impression was that the taste of the orange has completely gone. It's just a sharp citrus bite to it, but not orange.

I was thinking that if I wanted to serve this as an orange drink I'd probably buy some orange cordial to go with it.

Another thing I tried when I made another batch of grapefruit was adding an extra bottle of grapefruit in at bottling stage. This did add flavour but also extra sediment and a bit over carbonated. I gave one of those to a work colleague and he described it as "lively".

You have to put the zest of the oranges in or it wont taste or smell of orange. I've made many a 5 gallon in the distant past and always used real oranges with peel and worked, but recently used thick cut seville orange marmalade which achieved the same result in a mead.

You have to put the zest of the oranges in or it wont taste or smell of orange. I've made many a 5 gallon in the distant past and always used real oranges with peel and worked, but recently used thick cut seville orange marmalade which achieved the same result in a mead.

Would I have to dissolve the marmalade in some warm orange juice first or just dollop it into the fermenter ?

I've been thinking I should update this and as someone has asked me how it turned up here you go.

First of all I fermented it in a 15 litre FV that I normally have a tap on. For for reason I'd taken the tap off. When I put the syphon in it stirred up a bit of sediment. Anyhow I carried on and bottled it. This resulted in a bit too much sediment in the bottles. Next time I might put a bit of gelatine in or rack it.

I tried a bottle the other week. To be honest I didn't think it was very orangey. I'll try another one this weekend and taste again. At the time of tasting my impression was that the taste of the orange has completely gone. It's just a sharp citrus bite to it, but not orange.

I was thinking that if I wanted to serve this as an orange drink I'd probably buy some orange cordial to go with it.

Another thing I tried when I made another batch of grapefruit was adding an extra bottle of grapefruit in at bottling stage. This did add flavour but also extra sediment and a bit over carbonated. I gave one of those to a work colleague and he described it as "lively".
Was this kept in the dark or did it get a lot of light exposure ?

Perhaps go with an orange juice that you would drink st home with breakfast ( or with vodka hehe ) as you will know/like the taste already

Would I have to dissolve the marmalade in some warm orange juice first or just dollop it into the fermenter ?

Dissolve and simmer, real orange zest would work too, as you're fond of your local greengrocers.

Was this kept in the dark or did it get a lot of light exposure ?

Perhaps go with an orange juice that you would drink st home with breakfast ( or with vodka hehe ) as you will know/like the taste already

It was always in the dark. The FV had a blanket around it.
The bottles are stored in the beer cupboard.

Yes, I was thinking last night as I got stuck into a couple of my grapefruit brews that it would be nice with vodka.

Back