Stopping fermentation in wows

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgreen

Reaction score
Hi gents, got a few wows now clearing and they all taste ok but are all very dry at 0.990 using youngs super yeast.
I realise I can back sweeten and then get the benefit of the yeast cleaning up but it seems that some use stabiliser to stop the fermentation at a suitable sweetness.
Question is if, you do this then you loose the yeast clean up and increase the chances of a dodgey belly or bad head yeah?

A member decided to put the "wait until fermentation has finished then leave it a week for the yeast to clean up after itself" theory to the test, it did him and his other half no harm and now doesn't do the extra week thing, i decided i would try and it didn't bother me and Mrs Tea either so i have not waited the extra week for ages, i stop mine at one bubble every 2 minutes i don't take readings but its spot on, try stopping it at.995 and see if you like it oh and if you don't leave it the extra week and get the trots don't blame me. :lol:

Yep that was me I think and still here to tell the tale 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It used to be a right ball ache waiting that extra week especially when first starting and trying to make more than we could drink so we could build a stock up.

Thats good to hear. I do suffer hangovers quite badly so if it does have any effects i should be a reasonable barometer!
I have to admit to thinking that a wine is better left as it is as finished rather than adding sugar, juice or pop after.
Im looking fofward to a few slightly less tart wows soon!
Cheers.

Also be slightly careful where you try and stop it, I did a couple to 1.000 and they're almost too sweet, maybe aim for 0.995-1.000

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back