Anyone used yeast bay saison/Brett yeast??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it turns out I purchased the yeast bay saison and Brett blend yeast by mistake.

And as its classed as a food stuff I cannot return it for a refund or exchange.

Has anyone used this yeast before? Does anyone know how much Brett is in there? And will it need the 6-12 months ageing like pure Brett needs or because of the saison strain will it be ready in the normal ale time frames?

Any ideas on the above and also any Brett example recipes that I could use as inspiration would be great.

Not asking for much really [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really sure but good luck!!

Do you need to consider a special fermenter for this aswell? (or are you going to belt and braces full steralise it after)

I've not used that particular yeast but it sounds great. Give it plenty of time in the fermenter, rack to secondary after a couple of weeks then give it another 4-6 weeks before you bottle because brett will keep working for a long time. It shouldn't need a long time before it's ready to drink, the brett character should come through within a couple of months but it will continue to improve in the bottle for a couple of years.

If you're not familiar with brett beers get yourself a couple of Orval, it uses brett as a secondary yeast and it is wonderful. I'd maybe go for a similar recipe to Orval which is something like:
4.5 kg pilsner malt
0.5 kg caramunich
0.5 kg white sugar

60g hallertau @ 60 mins
30g styrian goldings @ 15 mins
30g styrian goldings @ 0 mins
60g styrian goldings dry hop

Some would say you definitely need separate equipment but as long as your cleaning and sanitation are good it's not really a must

I've used it twice.

The first time, I made a SMASH with pils and Nelson Sauvin and it took a long time for the brett to come through. I think I let it ferment for about four months.

Second time I reused the yeast and the brett seems to have come on more quickly. I'll bottle it tomorrow - I think it's been fermenting for about 2 months.

Latest posts

Back