First time brewing. Strawberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liame

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've decided to take up home brewing and as I had some strawberrys at home decided on making a strawberry wine.
I found a recipe online and have followed it closely, but after a bit more Reading I'm not sure of I've found the best way amy help and advice would be great.

so I started with 2kgs strawberrys and mashed them up added in 1ltr of filtered water and 1kg granulated sugar. I left this overnight stirring 3x throughout the day. I then added pectolase and left for a further 24hrs.
I then strained the juice into a sterilised pot and put the must back in my fermenter and then added another litre of filtered water and repeated. I added citric acid, yeast nutrient and wine yeast to the juice and then siphoned onto a demijohn.
I am now at day 5 of fermentation in the demijohn and it's still bubbling away.

Sounds ok, expect it to ferment for a couple of weeks, does depend on how much juice and sugar you ended up getting into the demijohn. What happened to the juice in the pot? Did it go back into the dj with the must?

yeah all the juice went into the demijohn. I got rid of the must. so do i leave it in the demijohn for about 3-6 weeks I think the recipe says and then rack into another demijohn?

sounds ok, might finish before if not much sugar got in from straining.

Invest in a hydrometer (about 3-5 quid) so you can take a gravity reading at the start, this will let you gauge the strength of the wine and help you with further attempts at making similar recipes.

so it's been fermenting for about 8/9 days now and the bubbles are at 1 every10 seconds. I do have a hydrometer just forgot to take a starting sg.
when do you recommend checking the sg to see if fermentation has finished.

so it's been fermenting for about 8/9 days now and the bubbles are at 1 every10 seconds. I do have a hydrometer just forgot to take a starting sg.
when do you recommend checking the sg to see if fermentation has finished.

Leave for another 10 days then test, expect at least another 2 weeks before fermentation is complete, probably 3 even four weeks until dry.

You can usually visually tell when it's finished as it starts to clear from the top down as the yeast is no longer working and starts settling out.

ok so it is barely making any bubbles in the airlock now. it looks like it is clearing, should I check the sg?

Back