Bottles. Advice and Information.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChemist

Absolute numpty...
Reaction score
I'm looking to rapidly increase my bottle collection size and while a certain legendary forum member has offered to get me some, Ivery just worked out how many I'm gonna need in my rotation and it's a lot.

As such I'm going to have to start to buy some in with beer in them, but I'm not sure which ones are good...

If anyone can shed some light on that and give me a rough price I'd be appreciative, but no Grolsch please, I cannot stand that semi frozen **** water...

ElChem

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm quite keen on 330ml bottle. I was in ASDA the other day and noticed that you could get a six pack of that super malt style drink in 330ml bottles for £2.50. If you dont like the drink it's cheap enough just to pour it done the drain

It's amazing how many bottles you need. Using those 330, that would mean you need a ton more! But the thought of pouring a quick 330 sounds good. I have boxes and boxes of bottles. Over 250 or more, 10 boxes plus a bunch still conditioning. I used to have more but recently my friends don't return them when I hand out my beer. Going to have to get deposits from now on! In Japan there probably .80 per bottle empty.

Get yourself a pressure barrel or 2. I've found the cheap ones work better than king kegs etc.
Saves faffing around with too many bottles. I only fill a couple of bottles to save out of every batch, just to see if it tastes any better after a long conditioning period. (rarely does) :)

I find ale bottles and wheat beer bottles the best. Avoid the 750ml commercial lager bottles as I had a Birra Moretti one explode and 2 Singha ones crack under the pressure of carbonation (albeit in an over carbed batch).

I also think the solution of 330 is better in this case. You need it for saving and chilling your wine!

Buy in some proper beer bottles, it'll be cheaper and more effective in the long run. Commercial beer bottles are meant to be used once they are hence lighter and more fragile than proper home-brewer's bottles. There is a large selection of bottles on Ebay ... your LHBS might even haven them.
:drunk:

I found the brown cider bottles are good from Lidl 89p and are a full pint. Used them many times and the cider is quite nice

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Buy in some proper beer bottles, it'll be cheaper and more effective in the long run. Commercial beer bottles are meant to be used once they are hence lighter and more fragile than proper home-brewer's bottles. There is a large selection of bottles on Ebay ... your LHBS might even haven them.
:drunk:

I find that, with the exception of a few of the big big breweries, most commercial ale bottles are identical to the home brew bottles that Lakeand sell.

It's amazing how many bottles you need. Using those 330, that would mean you need a ton more! But the thought of pouring a quick 330 sounds good. I have boxes and boxes of bottles. Over 250 or more, 10 boxes plus a bunch still conditioning. I used to have more but recently my friends don't return them when I hand out my beer. Going to have to get deposits from now on! In Japan there probably .80 per bottle empty.

I really like my 330ml bottles, I have about 150. I have a couple for stemmed tulip glasses that I 'aquired' from my local hipster pub that fit 330ml perfectly. I also have a tankard that is 660ml capacity so good for 2 bottles worth. When it comes to packaging it depends what mood I'm in sometimes I do all bottles sometimes I do all easy keg mostly I do a mixture

I've always found 500ml sharps bottles are easy to get labels off...and the wolf rock red IPA is drinkable

I generally keep most brown bottles that I've bought with ale in them. All washed and rinsed and delabled where poss. Then a good sanitize obv before use. Crown capper then seals the job when I've filled them with my brew. I have enough to bottle 2-3 brews worth and then repeat the washing and rinsing as they get supped. I'd say avoid green bottles for reuse but I don't buy larger anyway so dunno if they can be reused.

Visit your local pub and ask them if you can go through their recycling. Wheat beer bottles are the best bit I've also found Koppaberg bottles to be good.

Many thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna have a look at the cider bottles in Lidl and Aldi. For 90p a bottle it's about the same price as buying without alcohol in them. Free cider ftw!

Put a few feelers out round friends or family for Grolsch bottles, the promise of a few samples back for empty bottles can work wonders.

I tend to choose them depending on what labels come off easiest, rekorderlig cider fall into that category(I had to make the wife drink it all) but more recently lagunitas - I like the 355ml size and labels couldn't be easier to remove. It also helps that I love the beer too

I find ale bottles and wheat beer bottles the best. Avoid the 750ml commercial lager bottles as I had a Birra Moretti one explode and 2 Singha ones crack under the pressure of carbonation (albeit in an over carbed batch).

you have obviously never had a big bottle nigerian guinness my friend - those bottles are tanks, if you ever see them for sale its well worth getting them both for the drink and for the bottle :)

I'm looking to rapidly increase my bottle collection size and while a certain legendary forum member has offered to get me some, Ivery just worked out how many I'm gonna need in my rotation and it's a lot.

As such I'm going to have to start to buy some in with beer in them, but I'm not sure which ones are good...

If anyone can shed some light on that and give me a rough price I'd be appreciative, but no Grolsch please, I cannot stand that semi frozen **** water...

ElChem

speak to your neighbours - ask them to keep them aside for you and offer them a brew in return - if they like it they may even end up commissioning you to make them more or a taste they like :)

or if you just need a shed load now just go down to your local pub and ask to have some emptys, they will have a mountain of bottles as so many craft beers and drinks are now poured from bottles now in pubs as compared to yester-year when bar staff had to hand pump the tap

Samuel smiths bottles are pretty bomb proof if you can get them. If you've got a home bargains near you they had banks bitter for 89p and Sadlers for £1.49. Sadlers list the malts and hops on there beers to give you some ideas but the labels are hard to get off I go at them with those stainless steel scrubbers.

Latest posts

Back