Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Coopers Brew A IPA

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 14-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Godsdog

Liked 717 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal91 View Post
i may give this a go without tweaking with hops or anything as i haven't the knowledge on it yet
methinks any kit new or established ones need brewing straight with no messing to see if you like what is standard first.time enough to tweak it later ons if need be

Old 14-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
Personal91

Liked 216 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdog View Post
methinks any kit new or established ones need brewing straight with no messing to see if you like what is standard first.time enough to tweak it later ons if need be
this is a fair point

Old 14-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
terrym

Liked 1599 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdog View Post
Godsdog; I agree... up to a point.
Premium kits shouldn't really need any tweeking at all.
The start point for one cans however is usual additional fermentables, plus a dry hop of something which compliments the kit style. Without the dry hop they always seem to come up short.

Old 21-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
terrym

Liked 1599 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Tried one tonight....after just over a week in the bottle but had carbed up (I use PET) and had 24 hours in the fridge to encourage the yeast to settle. So very young but, as it turned out, drinkable.
Not as fruity as the Coopers Real Ale. Quite bitter which lingers in the mouth, which may be the kit but may be the effect of the 25g each of Centennial and Cascade dry hop. Some grapefruit to the taste.
Amber in appearance rather than golden.
May turn out to be better than I had thought it would. Which is good because I have a second kit can in my store.....
Worth a go if you are thinking of trying one from Wilko.

Old 31-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #15
celsius

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Just tried one of these. 2 weeks in the fv, three weeks in secondary and bottled a week ago. Still needs longer to carb up but what a cracking pint. I used 1.5kilo LME along with the kit. ABV 6.1% darker in cloud than I expected but a really light tasting IPA. Slightly sweet but longer in the bottle should tidy that up. Definitely brew this one again.

Old 22-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Godsdog

Liked 717 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 375

hi..(right thread now)
put this on 48 hours ago and only this morning has the fermentation started and very slowly not rigorous and no krausen as up to yet but definite bubbles not going mad at present after having a peek inside the FV.just wondering if along with terrym and any others that's brewed it that its a slow burner by default as I was a tad worried that the dried yeast had failed

Old 22-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I can't see how Coopers can call this an IPA with the description "Its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish." without providing extra hops for dry hopping?

Every 1-can kit I've made over the last 5 years has needed additional hops to turn them into hoppy brews. Straight out of the can all these kits are malty with very little hop flavour: I guess the production process kills off most the hop flavour.

What am I missing?

Old 22-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
pms67

Liked 818 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
I can't see how Coopers can call this an IPA with the description "Its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish." without providing extra hops for dry hopping?

Every 1-can kit I've made over the last 5 years has needed additional hops to turn them into hoppy brews. Straight out of the can all these kits are malty with very little hop flavour: I guess the production process kills off most the hop flavour.

What am I missing?
+1 from me.
Spot on

Old 28-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
Clint

Liked 1112 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Started this last night with 1.5kg of light spraymalt and used a safale us 05 yeast as per recipe off the coopers Web site. It's getting a dry hop of 25g each of citra and cascade when primary ferment dies down.
It's bubbling steadily at about once every two seconds..

Cheers

Clint

Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Clint

Liked 1112 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Update. ..looks like a slow burner. ...got in 7 ish this morning and the krausen was pushing through the airlock and bubbling had increased.

Cheers

Clint