What colour bottle caps do you use ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personal91

Landlord.
Reaction score
just a general inquiry as i am about to buy my first lot of caps and was wondering what colour and the reasons for eg diffrent styles of brew and the colour caps that you use ?

i was thinking of buying yellow caps but my brother reckons it will look cheap unless the logo i put on my bottles corresponds - im not at the labeling stage yet or even at design yet mind you :whistle:

Silver and gold. I'm boring.

theyre the staple / the classic look though.

what are your thoughts on yellow caps on brown bottles tho ? would it look cheap as my brother reckons or look a little too flashy/attention grabbing - which to be honest is what we all want to happen. ALOT of people become honey bees after a few drinks and seem to be attracted to shiny or vivid colours so maybe the yellow could have an advantage there....

I try to use a different colour for each brew, makes it easier to find them when they are stored, Evil Dog gets a black, Strawberry Pale Ale gets a white, Raja's Reward gets a metalic Blue etc. we try to match them with the beer, my ten year daughter is head of Design at "LekkerBru" so she decides how the colours get allocated, she also decides if and what small pictures/avatars go on the labels, but being a small brewery she also works in the bottling division, she is the head wiper/drier/labelputaonera, her little sister is her appy, she is learning fast so we might split that division into to separate departments, will bring it up at the next (and first) AGM.

Who cares what colour they are. You aren't selling so marketing goes out the window. I use gold because they are cheaper when bought in bulk

I just use the coopers jobbies as I find they are a good fit on the many different types of bottles I use. I sometimes put a little coloured sticker on the cap if I have a few brews on the go at once.

Who cares what colour they are. You aren't selling so marketing goes out the window. I use gold because they are cheaper when bought in bulk

So by your reasoning, if you are doing something for yourself, it doesn't matter about presentation....😝 Thats when I definatley want it to look nice!

I don't use dark colours or black because I write on the lid what the batch is with a black sharpie. Therefore I stick to bright colours like silver, gold, red, yellow etc. as it makes it easier to read.

I generally use a different colour for each brew and store them in the shed left to right by brew date.

I try to use a different colour for each brew, makes it easier to find them when they are stored, Evil Dog gets a black, Strawberry Pale Ale gets a white, Raja's Reward gets a metalic Blue etc. we try to match them with the beer, my ten year daughter is head of Design at "LekkerBru" so she decides how the colours get allocated, she also decides if and what small pictures/avatars go on the labels, but being a small brewery she also works in the bottling division, she is the head wiper/drier/labelputaonera, her little sister is her appy, she is learning fast so we might split that division into to separate departments, will bring it up at the next (and first) AGM.

well done on getting the family involved - now you can class brew day as family time

do you have any pictures of your bottles/labeling aswell

+ AGM ?

I'm using white ones at the moment, I inherited hundreds of them. I write a single letter in sharpie to distinguish the beer (S for steam beer, C for citra single hop, W for wheat beer etc

theyre the staple / the classic look though.

what are your thoughts on yellow caps on brown bottles tho ? would it look cheap as my brother reckons or look a little too flashy/attention grabbing - which to be honest is what we all want to happen. ALOT of people become honey bees after a few drinks and seem to be attracted to shiny or vivid colours so maybe the yellow could have an advantage there....

A few drinks???

I don't mind the odd bottle, just so they know how clever I am but no-ones having "a few bottles". No yellow caps here, then.

So by your reasoning, if you are doing something for yourself, it doesn't matter about presentation....😝 Thats when I definatley want it to look nice!

I may not be but its a fun project and something that you can build upon and improve over time, i would ideally like to be able to have something that looks great and tastes great so i can gift them to friends and family and something for them to enjoy at a BBQ for example.

I doesnt matter how good your brew is if the presentation is lacking as people judge books by theyre cover and very often have the attitude that if someone hasnt put in the effort to present it then it wont be very good and just pick up a commercial beer that is probally a chemical brew with sulphites up to your eyeballs that has off tastes because of the aluminium or because it wasnt stored properly while being transported from warehouse to warehouse but because this happens all the time we are used to it now and poor quality has become the norm. When **** poor brews that are mass produced and..... sorry started to rant a bit there:whistle:

anywho its nice for someone to look at the artwork on your bottle and your blurb on the back etc :) if they like them enough they may commission you to make them some more...:thumb:

I've just started using Malt Miller's own-logo caps. Two reasons - mainly cos they're £2.50 for 200 as opposed to £4 for self coloured, but also as they're oxygen-scavenging. Too early to say if this makes any apparent difference yet, but I guess it might help quality in the bottle.
I'm definitely in the appearances-don't-count camp. It's what's inside that interests me!

I may not be but its a fun project and something that you can build upon and improve over time, i would ideally like to be able to have something that looks great and tastes great so i can gift them to friends and family and something for them to enjoy at a BBQ for example.

I doesnt matter how good your brew is if the presentation is lacking as people judge books by theyre cover and very often have the attitude that if someone hasnt put in the effort to present it then it wont be very good and just pick up a commercial beer that is probally a chemical brew with sulphites up to your eyeballs that has off tastes because of the aluminium or because it wasnt stored properly while being transported from warehouse to warehouse but because this happens all the time we are used to it now and poor quality has become the norm. When **** poor brews that are mass produced and..... sorry started to rant a bit there:whistle:

anywho its nice for someone to look at the artwork on your bottle and your blurb on the back etc :) if they like them enough they may commission you to make them some more...:thumb:

I have never had anyone comment that they didn't like my beer because it lacked a label, or the cap was plain, or it had a Bulmers label on the bottle etc. If the beer is on point, people will comment on that rather than a bottle which they no doubt dispense of after pouring. I rather spend on quality ingredients.

Latest posts

Back