Has anyone used COMET hops ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuff76

Reaction score
I've just ordered some Comet hops - From what I've read, this is an old fashioned hop and has some strange/harsh flavours - Dank, Skunky, Cat Pee (!!) as well as what I'm looking for: Grapefruit

I'm planning my next brew to be a grapefruit infused American IPA, which will be my normal grain bill and hops with a grapefruit taste/aroma - Have also ordered cold pressed grapefruit extract from MM and probably chuck some zest in there too

Seems to be listed against a bunch of hop variety, but Comet one of the top grapefruity ones.

I certainly don't want to mess up the whole beer with a nasty hop though especially as I'm adding extra bits.

Was also planning to do this brew as an all late additions boil.

Can anyone advise best way to use Comet to get the most grapefruit and least dankness from it ? Or am I best staying away entirely

Cheers :thumb:

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops say this about comet hops.

Comet Hops:

A cross between English Sunshine and a native American wild hop, the Comet hop was bred by the USDA in 1974 to meet the need for a higher alpha producing hop. Though commercial production has slowed in recent years, it offers a unique flavor that is best suited to American Ales. With an alpha acid range of about 9.4% to 12.4%, Comet hops offer a substantial bittering quality paired with a distinctly American grassy and citrus aroma. Bittering your American style brew with Comet hops can be objectionable to some, but when done properly the result is one of a kind. Galena and Summit both offer a more readily available substitute to Comet when necessary. See if brewing with this hop is right for you by tasting the effects in highly-rated brews like Brew Dog’s IPA and Dead Comet IPA.

Cheers @wfr42

It's this bit that I'm concerned about " Bittering your American style brew with Comet hops can be objectionable to some, but when done properly the result is one of a kind."

Wondered if anyone can advise me how to do it properly, not objectionably - And also how suitable this is for dry hopping.

I'm wondering if it's worth the risk or just stick with hops that I already know

We had this hop on a couple of occasions in Germany over the last few years. Form what I remember, the aroma and quality seemed to fluctuate a bit with one year (2014?) being particularly delicious (strong blackberry flavours) and other years less "berry-y". People raved quite a bit over this hop in 2014 IIRC.

Edit: I still have some in the freezer (from 2013?) but I'm not a hophead, and rarely employ large aroma or dry hopping additions.

Cheers @wfr42

It's this bit that I'm concerned about " Bittering your American style brew with Comet hops can be objectionable to some, but when done properly the result is one of a kind."

Wondered if anyone can advise me how to do it properly, not objectionably - And also how suitable this is for dry hopping.

I'm wondering if it's worth the risk or just stick with hops that I already know
I would say that is giving a hint to use them late or dry hop ? Maybe one of those less is more hops . I do like the aromas they give off from the bag mind you .

Thanks guys - It sounds like an interesting one to try, I will probably use it for dry hop and try not to go too heavy handed - Hoping to get something luscious and grapefruity :thumb:

I threw 70grams of comet into a coopers wheat beer 40 pint kit 3 days before bottling after hearing that the kit was nasty on its own.
After 2 weeks, on first taste, the beer was very grassy with a slight fruity citrus hint. Continued to drink, testing various serving temps. After a month in the bottle and then chilled right down to at Least 5-6 degs I have a really great beer. The fruitiness and citrus has come right out and the grassiness has all but gone. Really great beer. This was a complete fluke batch but I am now regretting drinking most of it, luke warm, whilst half cut on a simcoe/mosaic smash. It's been a good summer!! X

Latest posts

Back