BrewFanatic 's Apple, Ginger and Rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
With the first WOW nearing it's end and into a clean glass DJ I have now used the free Tesco Ashbeck bottle for my new attempt.

1 ltr Crawford Press Apple & Ginger Juice (99% Apple 1% Ginger Extract)
1ltr Crawford Press Apple & Rhubarb Juice (99% Apple 1% Rhubarb)
700g Sugar
Cup of 3 stewed TBAGS
1/4 tsp Citric Acid
1 tsp Pectalose
1 tsp Youngs super wine yeast
1 tsp Youngs Nutrient

S.G came out at 1.072. Bit low for a wine but looking for ultimate taste rather than strength.

It should be around 11% so not bad, i make mine to around 10% as the original 13 - 14% was too high for Mrs Tea.

That's great. What is your view on the recipe itself? Anything you would have done differently?

I might check next time I go to Yes o if I can get some Glycerine as well.

I was also wondering about making this a sparkling wine. Is the process the same but omitting the stabiliser and degassing? And obviously priming needs to be done too.

I would try a litre of grape juice with something else as this is the base of supermarket juice wine, as for glycerin I stopped using it many months ago and Mrs Tea didn't notice.

It's bubbling away nicely today. Smells good too.

I had only the one bottle of wilkos white grape concentrate which I had used in my 1st WOW and didn't think the red one would suit this.

However I have another one planned which the red grape concentrate would be perfect.

Any suggestions on making this sparkling?

Sounds lovely, I'm assuming you topped it up with water to 1 gallon? The recipe doesn't state.

You don't need to use red grape concentrate as red grape juice is readily availablein most supermarkets.

Graz - yes I topped up with a pint of water with the sugar dissolved into it, then I tipped up with tap water to the shoulders of the DJ. Then I top up to 1/2 inch below the bung once I've degassed it.

Chippy - I bought one of each when I was in Wilko last time as they were only £1.50 each

I thought about trying the apple n ginger one with apple n rhubarb too after great success with the cawstons apple n rhubarb, keep us posted on how it turns out :thumb:

Hi guys. It's gone all the way down to 0.989. Not as dry as one would expect. Tastes good but I think it'd not for everyone. It is 'wine-y' but with a gingery after taste. Not a bad wine.

Shone a tourch on it and can see very minimal activity in the way of small bubbles (shed is quite dark) so I think.i will be bottling this weekend at some point.

Review:- it's not a Woah pukka wine but is perfectly quaff able. Not a hint of rhubarb I must admit. If you like ginger then go for it. I personally wouldn't do this one again but I have no doubt it won't last long anyway. Will see how it tastes in a few weeks if not months

Latest posts

Back