Blobs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Newbie problem i'm afraid gentlemen and ladies, my Santas Winter Warmer has got little white blobs floating on the top. It has been kept in the kitchen so temperature wise it probably hasn't been ideal but it's the first time i've used an airlock. Mixed it up a fortnight ago put the lid on and haven't look at it since but I had a sneaky peep tonight because I hope to bottle tomorrow. Is it infected, salvageable or just plain ruined? I was hoping to put it away till christmas. also starting OG was about 1070 is that normal. Hints, tips or **** takes appreciated.

I'm new to the forum so don't quite know how to link to other threads... There was a thread in the last couple of days citing the same problem with pictures. Have a scroll and there were plenty of possible solutions.

If you can give a more detailed description of the blobs that will help. You're more than likely fine though.

yeast islands suspended by surface tension are not uncommon, yeast is creamy white in colour. a pic or 2 will help id the issue, tho im sure its not a problem..

Trying to persuade my daughter to post a pic or two, the above description of yeast islands looks to be spot on (fingers crossed) haven't tasted it but it does smell rather handsome, even if I do say so myself

20160817_122146.jpg

20160817_122215.jpg

20160817_122240.jpg

20160817_122153.jpg
This is what it looks like

You're doomed I tell you.............just had one of mine turn to vinegar almost overnight, first time ever, all down to a fruit fly :(

Roll on the cooler weather.

Stroll.

This is the hydrometer reading, which i'm still not sure what i'm doing, which is why you have three pictures,. Which one should I be looking at just to be on the safe side. Had a taste from the jar and it does taste quite good warmed theold chest up anyway. Have no idea why the picture are sideways, one of lifes peculiarities

20160817_144614.jpg

20160817_144644.jpg

20160817_144923.jpg

First the top of your brew looks normal to me. Floating clumps of yeast, hop oils and such are common. If it's infected you will find out sooner or later. Assume it's not for the time being, i.e glass half full.
Try this for hydrometer readings
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60895
Check your instructions to find out where the reading should be read in relation to the meniscus, since Wilkos hydrometers, if you have one, are apparently read differently to other sorts.

No worries with that brew,, and the gravity looks like circa 1.032 atm, a healthy drop from the initial 1.070.

as co2 is produced by fermentation it will rise to the surface and can carry some floating yeast cells with it, some of these will stick to the surface tension and grow untim the mass is to much for the surface tension to support ;)
the creamy white yeast tinted with the dark liquor of the beer look a lil brownish ;)

Now how do the samples taste? and how are you taking them, if drawing through a tap ensure you rinse out the tap spout after drawing, a squeezy bottle to squirt up the spout is most effective. And importantly Dont add the sample back to the bulk, that could easily add something unwanted ... ;)

its a very hi gravity beer so will take a lil longer to complete primary, but its heading there, leave it alone for another week or 2 ;)

tastes gorgeous what should the final level be, 1014 can't find the box with instructions on.

1.024 is a tad high to bottle when the kit instructions indicate a target FG circa 1.014.

Best thing you can do is leave it a couple of weeks imho, Patience is the hardest brewers skill to acquire tho.

the only way to ensure a quick clean fermentation is to control the brews temperature which is why the brewfridge is a very popular investment. Without this your at the mercy of the daily fluctuations in ambient temp which can stress the yeast and stall them consuming comfortably (guess work).

YOu may want to try rouseing or stirring, but if you do be mindful of the protective layer of co2 contained in the buckets top. your brew is now vulnerable to O2 and oxidisation, so if you stir up the brew do so gently and slowly as to not disturb the co2 too much.

Just an observation in that your yeast has attenuated to about 65% which could be better but isn't disastrous given you started at OG 1.070. To attain 1.014 requires about 80% which is usually going some for a kit yeast if that's what you used. In any case if you added more sugars than the kit suggests (to get your OG 1.070) then you would be struggling to get 1.014 if that's what the instructions suggest, since the supplied yeast will only usually attenuate to approx the same level, in other words higher OG = higher FG for the same yeast.

The only things in the bucket are what came with the kit, I wouldn't know where to begin as yet when it comes to adding extra sugar etc.. Still tastes bloody handsome mind. Should be getting a fridge, inkbird 308 and a heat belt next week so if all goes according to plan this will be the last one brewed with no control over temps.

can anyone tell me what to do if it doesn't move from 1024?

Latest posts

Back