Food Programme BBC R4

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realise you can listen whenever you like, i am listening now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nng5l

From being tucked under the pub bar stool as a baby to getting into Fleet Street pubs underage, Roger Protz's passion for beer began early. He's spent 40 years on a mission to celebrate and protect brewing traditions - writing about brewing and beers including over 20 editions of the Good Beer Guide. Arguably what he was writing about then is what many hold important today - in both food and drink. His passion and excitement about innovation and new flavours hasn't waned. He took Sheila to one of his favourite local pubs to try some new local ales before sharing more about his life and career.

His writing saw him forge a path to parts of the world where few were travelling - including hunting out beers and brewers in Czechoslovakia before the fall of the Iron Curtain, his eyes were opened to Belgian beers and tastings through France, and across to the USA, all of which he shared with his readers.

Roger has also worked for the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) since the 70s helping bring real ale back from the brink of extinction as a threatened minority drink to a thriving British craft industry. His work has also seen him fighting to help save pubs - to put it simply, 'no pub, no ale'. But his opinions haven't been without controversy and while he celebrates the rise of the microbrewers, CAMRA is now asking its members on whether it should remodel itself and embrace all beers and beer drinkers.

Presented by Sheila Dillon.
Produced in Bristol by Anne-Marie Bullock.

Just finished listening....brilliant. It brought back many memories of my youth in London.

Listened to his one twice. Protz is no doubt a very interesting man and Camra have done great things for ale:

But, apart from the brewdog controversy, I detected something of an ambivalence to the homebrew movement and the experimentation involved.

Forgive me for being a noob here, but can anyone tell me how camra and communities like this one interact or get along?

Listened to his one twice. Protz is no doubt a very interesting man and Camra have done great things for ale:

But, apart from the brewdog controversy, I detected something of an ambivalence to the homebrew movement and the experimentation involved.

Forgive me for being a noob here, but can anyone tell me how camra and communities like this one interact or get along?

dunno! :oops:

when camra formed hb was boots kits and generally ****.

now we have access to better quality ingredients than mass volume commercial brewers use, so the tide has turned.

camra don't appear to be that bothered about hb. they want to have a decent pint in a pub.

pubs are a bit outdated to many in the modern world. :-o

Kryten: "Pub." Ah, yes: a meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks.

Kryten: "Pub." Ah, yes: a meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks.

:clap:

Gosh indeed -- almost forgot about what pubs are.

Just one comment of Protz stood out and he was expressing some distant surprise at the "popularity" of "IPAs".

But at the end of the talk, he also indicate that he doesn't know what direction will be next, but open to hearing ideas. Perhaps that's an opening to forge something of a cooperation between the camra and homebrew communities.

One thing that could be interesting, if anyone here wants to monetise their craft, to get homebrews into local pubs - bottle or keg. Camra could help encourage this? Would they?

Latest posts

Back