Small batch brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbert33

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello fellow forum members

Just wondering if there are any more small batch brewers out there. i've just placed an order for a 12 litre pot and additional bits so i can start knocking out 1 - 2 gallon batches. For me small batch brewing is really appealing as I'm not a huge drinker, it saves space and i can have a few different beers on hand at any one time.

Be great to hear from other small batch brewers, hear of their experiences/tips and see any recipes. Ive also been considering downloading the Beersmith phone/tablet app - does anyone use this?

As a brew day is usually 4- 5 hours I'd much prefer doing 40 pints at a time but you should check out the Wort App which is the best "free" app I've found. I liked it so much I paid for the pro version to support the developer even though there were no real benefits.

Hello fellow forum members

Just wondering if there are any more small batch brewers out there. i've just placed an order for a 12 litre pot and additional bits so i can start knocking out 1 - 2 gallon batches. For me small batch brewing is really appealing as I'm not a huge drinker, it saves space and i can have a few different beers on hand at any one time.

Be great to hear from other small batch brewers, hear of their experiences/tips and see any recipes. Ive also been considering downloading the Beersmith phone/tablet app - does anyone use this?

Hi tbert, I got a 15L Stock Pot so I could brew small batches, for the same reasons that you listed.

I'm not sure what you drink but Brewdog have all their recipes for free on their site. If you search for Greg Hughes's home brewing book there's many recipes in that too, albeit you have to buy the book. There's also many recipes on this site too, in many of the different sections.

I've only done two all grain brews, so I'm only a beginner but I'd recommend "geterbrewed" to order your stuff, as you use their custom facility to only order the measurements you need...which is useful.

I do small batches,6-10 litres of extract beers(not as yet done an AG) as i don't really want much more than 12-20 bottles at a time of the same beer. Can always re brew a particular beer if it turns out really good:thumb:

I also do small batches, 10-12L in a 15L stock-pot for the same reasons people have stated. I occasionally supplement it with 20L extract/kit brews, tend to experiment more with the smaller volume brews.

I think around 10L is a good volume to brew: it takes the same time/effort to brew 5L as 20l, so 10L is a good compromise and 18-20 bottles is a nice quantity without having too much of the same beer. Been doing this 18months now and it works for me.

Like others, I got into it via Clibit's 5L AG teaser which I did cobbling together existing kitchen equipment, then just got a few extra bits (grain bag and bigger stock pot) to make it that bit easier.

Using Brewmate software, which I think has been superceded by Brewers Friend. It's simple and free and works, so that's good enough for me. :thumb:

Yep, I usually end up with about 10 litres of beer post fermentation. I brew all grain biab using a 15 litre stock pot.

Most online recipes are based on US 5 gal, which is about 20 l, so it's just a matter of halving the values.

Gives me enough beer to keep me ticking over while I consider what to brew next :)

Ps: I have brewer's friend on my ipad but never use it. Instead I use Wort for Android on my phone (good for train journeys)

Yep, I usually end up with about 10 litres of beer post fermentation. I brew all grain biab using a 15 litre stock pot.

Most online recipes are based on US 5 gal, which is about 20 l, so it's just a matter of halving the values.

Gives me enough beer to keep me ticking over while I consider what to brew next :)
Top comment..
Yep, I do the same now generally.
I look for recipes that aren't too arduous, and then print them off or write them in a special book

Hi mate, I do one gallon biab brews at at a time using demi johns to ferment. Lack of space and the thought of making 40 pints at a time pushged me down this road. I like the process involved in brewing and trying to nail down a technique which I would rather do more often than making 40 pints every time. 8 bottles of different beer works perfectly for me although I do have a few recipes I go back to again and again

thanks for all of the replies guys. I appreciate it.

So my order arrived over the weekend and i have all but my hop strainers now (currently on route) so I'm looking at what to try as my first AG batch. I'm looking for something easy to start off with but is still a great beer.

I'm really happy with my outlay so far. things have come in so much cheaper just by wanting to do smaller batches. I've got virtually everything stainless steel for less than £50 from Wilko's. Already had my demijohn's from my last home brew attempts.

I'm itching to get cracked on now :)

I did AG brews in a 5 litre pot for about 10 months producing 1 gallon batches.
I brewed every other week and created all sorts of things and it was perfect for me to nail down the brewing process and experiment with ingredients.

As a tip - if you mash in a Pot....
Put your oven on REALLY low for about 10 mins and then turn it off just enough to warm its walls.
Then put a lid on your pot and then in the oven to mash.
I had great results doing this hardily loosing any temperature.

I brewed every other week and created all sorts of things and it was perfect for me to nail down the brewing process and experiment with ingredients.

Put your oven on REALLY low for about 10 mins and then turn it off just enough to warm its walls.
Thats a top tip...which I will do next time..thanks!:thumb:

Yes I do that too, good tip.

I do 10-12L brews, mash in a 12L pot that just fits in the oven but do the boil in a 15L pot. Double the beer for the same amount of effort, but like you I enjoy making lots of different beers hence not doing a full 23L brew :-D

Yes, this works really well, I would give the mash a stir at 30 mins, for luck and to check the temps.

This was an integral part of my Partial Mash technique for producing a half length brew, then adding a kit to make it a full length brew. A much under-rated style. IMO.

Having just recently starting to brew, I have left kits behind after doing 2
Like most on here I do not like having 40 pints of the same beeer.
I am doing batches of 14l which after bottling I end up with about 18 beers,

Latest posts

Back