Head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with head. :nono::lol:

WhenI pour a nice homebrew, I get head. After a few minutes, the head is gone. :nono:

IF I give it a quick 'stir' with a wooden chop stick, it gains so much head it overspills the glass.

How can I make this carbonation become head and not just bubbles in my beer?

The longer you condition your beer the more stable the head will be.

Check that your glasses are totally clean and don't drink the beer while eating fish & chips
Use some flaked barley and or wheat flour in your mash ... but I am not a fan of either, flaked barley gives a grainy sometimes tannic taste, too much wheat can make your beer cloudy. Crystal malt seems to help too.
Keg your beer ... bottled beer thins & dries out over time, head retention diminishes. Get yourself a bottle of N2 gas ?
Hope that helps.

I half remember reading somewhere that if you Get Head on your initial pour, your issue is unlikely to be about proteins etc that will be fixed by adding wheat. The article said that it was more likely an issue of too hot fermentation & production of unpleasant byproducts that cause the head to break down quickly (fusels etc).

Sorry for the half remembered info, but that might be another approach to fixing the issue...?

Edit: source: https://byo.com/bock/item/693-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Last edited:
Im hoping the torrefied wheat in my next batch will help.

what I do with most of Myn with poor head is pour slowly into a DRY glass, then tip a quarter QUICKLY into another DRY glass which creates a froth. wait for this to settle. then simply pour back into the original. I call it the two glass pour.

give it a try

Na, I always water the glass to clean off dust and washing up liquid.
Especially if you clean glasses in the machine!

The little bit of water doesn't hurt the beer.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5BjOdatwc[/ame]

Im hoping the torrefied wheat in my next batch will help.

what I do with most of Myn with poor head is pour slowly into a DRY glass, then tip a quarter QUICKLY into another DRY glass which creates a froth. wait for this to settle. then simply pour back into the original. I call it the two glass pour.

give it a try
+1 for the double poor and a bit of torry. Also different type glasses. Ones with a waist or curve in them seem better than straight ones.Sort of wave machine effect.Hope i'm not being too scientific:),could be total bo**ox and i just made it up but i'm sure i read it somewhere.

I seem to be having a problem with head. :nono::lol:

WhenI pour a nice homebrew, I get head. After a few minutes, the head is gone. :nono:

IF I give it a quick 'stir' with a wooden chop stick, it gains so much head it overspills the glass.

How can I make this carbonation become head and not just bubbles in my beer?

Try a Canadian Blonde? I've heard they are good for head.

Someone had to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BD-MEDICA...hash=item4190b1be54:m:m-219a8sj6DZMddDAwxAm5w

theres plenty more to choose from, but ive found thru a few squirts, (but one at a time just incase it froths over ur glass) they seem to push air out of the brew so a kit beer with a twang or fizz comes out a lot smoother!, to be this has saved my 24 odd wherrys

cheers Myqul I hope a few with this prob see this thread and consider this method to improve theyre pint

It appears to be a time thing.

Gave them an extra 2 weeks (4 in total) and now lovely head.

I mustve knocked too much yeast out when I cold crashed or something?

Lovely head now though :)

Im only a kit brewer but ive started adding dried wheat spray malt and it is making a big difference, i dont care much about clarity anyway,i actually like a cloudy beer.

It appears to be a time thing.

Gave them an extra 2 weeks (4 in total) and now lovely head.

I mustve knocked too much yeast out when I cold crashed or something?

Lovely head now though :)

I've often thought cold crashing can be detrimental to good head. its never been brought up much to say it is so maybe there's always enough yeast either way
time always helps though.

Im only a kit brewer but ive started adding dried wheat spray malt and it is making a big difference, i dont care much about clarity anyway,i actually like a cloudy beer.

the only beer Im not that fussy on cloudiness is IPAs with big hop additions. gives it that nice deceiving cider look I really like the look of

Latest posts

Back