Private Landlords - Riches to Riches?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
According to the National Housing Federation, in the last year Private Landlords were given nine point three BILLION pounds of Housing Benefit by our illustrious masters!

(Please don't forget that this was in addition to the rent they collected from people who weren't on Housing Benefit!)

I'm old enough to remember when we had Council Housing and in the "bad old days" (or "Pre-Bitch Days" as I call them) any subsidy would have gone to the Local Councils that provided the housing and NOT into the back pockets of Private Landlords.

If we assume that it costs about £50,000 to build a Council House then in place of the Housing Benefit handed to Private Landlords last year we could have provided a massive

186,000 AFFORDABLE HOUSES
(9,300,000,000 divided by 50,000)​

When are the people of the UK going to wake up, realise
that we are governed by self-serving people who systematically
rob the poor to profit the rich; and vote for a fairer system?
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Slavery was abolished years ago

They have replaced it with Buy-to-let. Its nothing but slavery in disguise.

Greed can never by satisfied. I know a bloke that has so many houses on BTL his monthly rental income is enough to buy another house EVERY MONTH. WHY? insataible greed. these types of creature will never have enough

Slavery was abolished years ago

They have replaced it with Buy-to-let. Its nothing but slavery in disguise.

Greed can never by satisfied. I know a bloke that has so many houses on BTL his monthly rental income is enough to buy another house EVERY MONTH. WHY? insataible greed. these types of creature will never have enough

Interesting post, your wrong, but a interseting post. I have put my life savings into a buy to let property. This is my pension, this is where Ill get my retirement income from. Ive paid my taxes, Ive paid my NI cont. I served 22 years. Its not slavery...what do you want me to do...rent my investment oiut at a cheaper rate, to the people who cant afford to get a mortgage. Not My ****ing Problem

Interesting post, your wrong, but a interseting post. I have put my life savings into a buy to let property. This is my pension, this is where Ill get my retirement income from. Ive paid my taxes, Ive paid my NI cont. I served 22 years. Its not slavery...what do you want me to do...rent my investment oiut at a cheaper rate, to the people who cant afford to get a mortgage. Not My ****ing Problem

I don't think the issue so much is people having 1 or 2 rentals but the few who have hundreds if not thousands of them, these are the folk who will throw an extra 5k onto the price of a house to prevent a 1st time buyer or a small family in desperate need of a larger house getting it.

It's all well and good the government encouraging increased house building but those new houses have to be kept out of the palms of the private landlords to a) increase the stock of much needed housing and b) to help drive down property prices, there also needs to be an increase in not for profit housing associations instead of rampant uncontrolled capitalism the effects of which are still being felt after the last housing bubble.

Trouble is our entire economy is based on the uncontrolled capitalism, you can't blaim landlords for putting there money into what they think is best for it. You can blaim the government and councils for selling off housing they never replace and for blocking small developments in the planning stage.

Trouble is our entire economy is based on the uncontrolled capitalism, you can't blaim landlords for putting there money into what they think is best for it. You can blaim the government and councils for selling off housing they never replace and for blocking small developments in the planning stage.

Actually capitalism means "investment to increase production" no more and no less. No bolted on pre-existing human deficiencies like greed, lust, envy or xenophobia. Nothing about the simple laws of supply and demand. Just that simple premise "investment to increase production".

This capitalism was an add-on to its great predecessor, feudalism, which might be described as "control through the ownership of land and property".

So here is my question - what exactly do you think the problem is?

My interpretation is that the Western European counties are abandoning the whole idea of capitalism and reverting, by default to a more feudal society, with little scope for social mobility and no ideas about actual progression.

There are now just too many people, with too little of any real consequence to actually do, since the tasks they might perform are now done by machines.

Maybe it is time this thread got "pulled" since it seems to have precious little to do with "making some beer".

It's in the snug, Robber Baron Slid :D

I know - I've just counted up my Buy-to-Lets - total is zero. Total antithesis of my own ideas about society and morality.

According to Wikipedia which I am not saying is 100% correct but it sounds more like what I thought is was "Capitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit."
What I think the problem with housing (and by extension rental) prices are directly due to supply and demand due in part to government policy and councils.

I you build me a house for 50k I'm in.

Here goes then for a bungalow built in East Anglia (which is where I live) of 75 square metres (which is bigger than my own bungalow) with no garage.

Information provided by:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/costs/house-building-cost-calculator.php

... who state:

We calculate that given the information you have provided and assuming a contingency fund of 5%:
o Total floor area of house 75m2
o Cost of the house per square metre �£558/m2
o Cost of house - �£41,860
o Total cost of project including external works - �£49,860

This approximate price does not include:
o VAT
o The cost of buying a building plot
o Professional fees and legal charges
o Insurances and the cost of borrowing

The above are not completely relevant to houses built by Local Councils because:
o Labour should be provided by Council Employees
o VAT will be reclaimed
o Building Plots can be provided from existing Council Land
o Professional fees and legal charges will not be for one house
o The cost of borrowing and insurances do not apply to a Council

Not everyone wants a mansion. Most people just want a secure roof over their heads at a reasonable price.

Enjoy! :thumb:

PS

Let's assume that my £50,000 is 100% inaccurate and move the cost up to £100,000 ...

... oh dear, we can now only build 93,000 houses with the money!

Hardly with bothering is it!​

Last edited:
Capitalism, buy-to let, its greed nothing but greed pure and simple.

So you want growth on your investment, why? get rid of greed and learn to live a simpler happier life rather than endless money making and the whole perspective changes.

Buy-to-let is slavery forever.

The whole system focuses on earning more, your status in society is based on what you do. what has "Occupation" got to do with anything on form filling. The smart generation are earning less, spending less, getting rid of money draining expense.

Our first mortgage in 1980 was 50% of our monthly income the same as it would be today but the stupid say they cant afford it because they have to have iphones and new cars and all the other claptrap the system tells them they must have. I know people that throw £800 a month on rent down the drain but then go out a buy a brand new car and go on cruises twice a year! DUH! wait until you are paying ever increasing rent in your 60's/70's and 80's.

You wont be retiring then.

So your going to retire on the income from somebody else that has to work to pay your rent.

Um! Thats "Slavery" mate how ever which way you look at it.

But not for long the government have spotted the trend so are taxing buy-to-let to ensure you dont get rich from it.

So your going to retire on the income from somebody else that has to work to pay your rent.

Um! Thats "Slavery" mate how ever which way you look at it.

But not for long the government have spotted the trend so are taxing buy-to-let to ensure you dont get rich from it.

CAN YOU HEAR YOURSELF ?

great so the other guy has earnt his property, he has a choice at what rate he rents it at. he is an individual, with 1 property, not a slum-lord that controls a district. If he has quality accomadation that he has kitted out and takes care of he can charge more for it.

I dont understand your resentment at this guy - you seem happy that the goverment will tax him and others more- i pray thee tell me where this tax money will go to..... because most tax's are not spent on theyre sectors, but instead plug up other projects and expenses that do not benfit me and you. SO WHY ARE YOU HAPPY THAT MONEY WILL GO FROM A MEMBER OF PUBLICS INTO THE GOVERMENTS POCKET ? Surely if a citizen earns more they will spend more - thus helping support local business's etc - which is all taxed anywho....:doh::doh:

My parents were both born into working class families and were raised on council estates from the late 50's to early 70's.

They worked hard, started their own business and were successful enough to buy a dozen or so houses around Greater Manchester, a handful of which are rented out to tenants who have their housing paid for them by the state. They have no private pension, so this is how they are going to maintain their standard of living when they retire.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with this...unless the OP suggests people who have worked hard to have a comfortable lifestyle, should live in poverty for their retirement years.

rented out to tenants who have their housing paid for them by the state.

Replace "state" with TAXPAYER and you will get my drift.

No point in carrying this on. Buy-to-let is modern day Slavery unless like Popes Parents your happy to profit from the taxpayer.

Which is what this thread is actually about, Billions being paid by the state in housing benefit to greedy landlords rather than building council houses at cheaper rents.

Replace "state" with TAXPAYER and you will get my drift.

No point in carrying this on. Buy-to-let is modern day Slavery unless like Popes Parents your happy to profit from the taxpayer.

Which is what this thread is actually about, Billions being paid by the state in housing benefit to greedy landlords rather than building council houses at cheaper rents.
Or is it billions spent by the state to put a roof over less fortunate people using housing that otherwise would only be rented to people with enough cash to look after them selves!
I can't see how people renting out houses make they slave traders! It's no different then someone who has a skill or trade and using to earn money
I bet you think carpenters, plumber, teachers, street cleaners and nurses ect should work for you for nothing.
I am sorry but I having nothing against people who work hard for what they and being rewarded for there toils, as long as they pay there dues so the less well off can be helped when needed it can't be all bad

What dont you get?

Billions of council tax payers money given into the hands of private landlords? or:

Billions of council tax payers money spent building social housing at much cheaper rents with the properties being owned by the council which makes it an investment for future generations that require social housing?

its not hard if you think about it.

What dont you get?

Billions of council tax payers money given into the hands of private landlords? or:

Billions of council tax payers money spent building social housing at much cheaper rents with the properties being owned by the council which makes it an investment for future generations that require social housing?

its not hard if you think about it.
I get that but I don't get how that makes private landlords slavers
I now have visions private landlords going to other country's and stealing other landlords tenants and making them live in there houses, or do they go to auctions and buy tenants that don't really want to live in there houses
To be honest it's nothing like gangs of armed men going to poor country's and stealing human beings from there family's , treating them like cattle, shipping them round the world and if they are still alive selling them on to people who will then make them labour for poor food and accommodation with a good whipping thrown just for good measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back