Newbie bottling/syphon query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking on here for a couple of weeks absorbing lots of advice but I've got a question about bottling.

I bought the Young's APA microbrewery starter kit but I don't want to keg it. It's been bubbling away slowly in my garage for nearly two weeks and its nearly down to 1.010 so will be adding the hops soon.

I want to bottle it when it's done but the syphon in the kit seems a bit basic; as it's just a tube will sediment/hops get into the bottles? Does it need some kind of filter on it? Or will the syphon from the kit be fine (it is basically just a tube with a tap on it)?

I understand I can put it into another TV and prime it there and reduce the stuff getting into my bottles. Is it worth doing? Or should I just get on with it as it's my first brew and invest in that later?

Thanks!

I've used one of these syphons when bottling my WOW or TC but I find a tap and bottling wand so much easier when bottling my beer:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGw0Z2Jfzno[/ame]

1380210572-90651100.jpg

I didn't want to drill my FV so instead i cut the little bottler wand off the tap heated the end of the syphon tube and inserted the wand.

My apologies Buffbrew, welcome to the forum, nice to see you on here. If you have any questions just ask away no matter what, the only silly question on here is the one you don't ask. What're you planning after the Youngs APA?

If it's a simple syphon tube you have you need to be careful about contaminating your brew with mouth bacteria, I'm fairly sure most of us either use an auto syphon or gravity feed both of which reduce the chance of bacteria by quite a bit.

My apologies Buffbrew, welcome to the forum, nice to see you on here. If you have any questions just ask away no matter what, the only silly question on here is the one you don't ask. What're you planning after the Youngs APA?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure, I like most styles, I picked the APA as its meant to be a bit like Sierra Nevada and I like that a lot but I've not got anything else in mind yet.

Chewie, thanks, with hindsight I think the simple syphon in the kit was with racking into the keg in mind rather than bottling. I may need to rethink and get an autosyphon then!

Get an auto syphon and another fv with tap and wand if you are bottling it makes the whole process a doddle! If the syphon plays up and seems to be sucking air just put some of the brew down the inner tube to seal it..

Cheers

Clint

Bottling done, but the syphon tube in my kit was terrible. It was very stop start and difficult to get into the bottling bucket, there was some sucking, so I probably have 40 pints of poison.

Will invest in an auto syphon before my next one, for sure.

Nah don't fret. I've always sucked the syphon without problem. As long as you just use your lips a couple of centimetres above the opening, and don't slobber on it, it should be fine.

Get a couple auto syphons. I say couple since stuff always happens and you don't want to be in the middle of bottling when your syphon breaks. They're not too expensive.

Back