Otterly Awry (IPA) AG#4

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly299

The Beer Bear
Reaction score
So it begins, after sorting out the brakes on my car all afternoon it was time to set up shop for tomorrows brew!

This one is for the October competition, so the recipe is under wraps for the time being, but there are some hints in the name! I'm particularly excited about this one as it's the first time using my own excel brew calculator,which makes a change from my pen and paper recipe calcs.

So without further ado here are the shinies all set up for a 7am start tomorrow!

IMG_20160820_185039.jpg

So the brew day was a complete success, I even remembered the Irish moss! I ended up with a larger volume and higher OG than originally intended so my efficiency must have taken a leap skyward.

The OG was 1054 and I collected somewhere in the region of 23 litres. Gained some water due to less boil off and no absorbtion from hops because I used pellets.

Here are some more pics from the day.

Pitched at 18°C and I'm going to let it free rise In an ambient temp of 16-18°C.

IMG_20160821_112454.jpg

IMG_20160821_123003.jpg

IMG_20160821_132400.jpg

IMG_20160821_132417.jpg

Okay so we're just over a week in into fermentation and the beer is at 1018. It has been in an outhouse for a week with ambient temps getting as low as 15°c, leaving the beer at 17° ish possibly lower after peak fermentation.

Tastes very promising, will certainly be using this hop/yeast combo again from the taste so far, going to need to be careful with the dry hopping though.

So I've moved it into the house,for its final two weeks in the primary, in order to warm it up a little to drop those last few gravity points.

Probably won't test it again now until bottling time in two weeks.

Dry hopped today with Mandarina Bavaria and Azacca ready for bottling this weekend!

Fingers Crossed that it tastes good at bottling time!

Well here it is, all bottled up.Im very impressed with the colour and general flavour, less impressed with level of hop aroma. The beer has been pretty warm so it was very flat, perhaps it will get a lift from the C02 once it's carbed up. The hops are not in your face enough, at least no where near some of the IPAs that I've had.

I suppose I could have ordered some more hops, but I'm going to try it as it is and go from there. If the recipe needs modification I'll tweak it next time.

IMG_20160910_193115.jpg

Almost forgot, I guess its time to let the cat out of the bag on what it's meant to be.

It's a Belgian Rye IPA, hence the more moderate hop levels, though I think the hops are a little too weak.Perhaps the M20 has muted a lot of the hop aroma.

I was going for an IPA that doesn't conform to the " lets see how hoppy we can make a beer and then multiply it by 10" trend.

The base is Maris Otter and Pale rye, then there's some cararye, wheat(malted and torrified) and a small amount of oats. The hops used were Mandarina Bavaria and Azacca for boil and dry hop additions.

The yeast is Mangrove Jacks M20, which I'm pretty pleased with, it behaved much like the M21, fast starting, slow finishing. Apparent attenuation was around 70%. Which is the lower end of the specified range for this yeast. But given my grain bill I'm pretty pleased with that figure.It did kick off some banana flavours early on, but at bottling the flavour has vanished.

Looking forward to tasting this in a couple of weeks, cheers!

Okay so I opened a bottle of this yesterday before putting it in the outside shed to mature at cooler temperatures.

It tastes pretty good and the level of carbonation is just right.It's got a little more hop coming through now which is nice and a very subtle banana note.

A couple of weeks at cooler temps and this one will be ready to enjoy, can't wait.

Having sampled this a few times after bottling I can safely say that the flavours are settling down and the beer is coming into its own about 6 weeks after bottling.

The hops have blended nicely and the banana flavour is back and I can really enjoy a glass or two of this. It serves cloudy because of the quantity of adjuncts. Lovely!

IMG_20161030_193845.jpg

Latest posts

Back