Acidic flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlingStu

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm relatively new to brewing and my last couple of beers have had an acidic flavour and given me heartburn.
Only thing I can think is I had trouble keeping the temp below 24oc.
Also have been starting my syphon by mouth, but I will cut the hose and put a tap and removable section from now on.
My other brews have been fine, and I find I've had better results with one can kits, I am drinking a festival endeavours at the mo but it tastes grassy and acidic, maybe hop additions caused this?
Is there anything obvious I'm missing?(probably due to being a newbie).
All advice welcome,
Cheers

Possibly carbonic acid.

High levels of carbon dioxide disolved in your beer will create carbonic acid. How much priming sugar did you use? Try a lower carbing level next time to see if this fixes the problem

100g dextrose, but I think I was a bit keen to bottle fg was 1.012.
Very carbonated as the bubbles disturb the sediment when you crack the cap, and the head is ridiculous!

How long has it been in the bottle. You'd be amazed at what lots of conditioning can cure. If it was me, I'd keep it and try a bottle every few weeks (make sure you chill the bottle for at least 24hrs) and only chuck it after a few months.
When it comes to home brew, my philosophy is, 'I made it, I'm drinking it' so I never chuck HB :D

Must admit would be a shame to chuck it. I'll leave it for a few weeks and sample again.
I've got enough bottles to get another brew on the go in the meantime

Been bottled 5 weeks and has cleared mostly. All of my brews so far have been a little hazy though. Is it worth using finings next time?

How long has it been in the bottle. You'd be amazed at what lots of conditioning can cure. If it was me, I'd keep it and try a bottle every few weeks (make sure you chill the bottle for at least 24hrs) and only chuck it after a few months.
When it comes to home brew, my philosophy is, 'I made it, I'm drinking it' so I never chuck HB :D

That'd usually be my philosophy but I'm pouring out 23l tonight as there is no chance it is going to get any better. :cry:

Been bottled 5 weeks and has cleared mostly. All of my brews so far have been a little hazy though. Is it worth using finings next time?

If it's just for you and your friends to drink and you're happy with the taste, then it's not really worth using finings for the sake of a better appearance. But if you're giving it as a present or entering competitions then clearer beer gives a more aesthetic look. I found that moving from a siphon I started with my mouth to an auto-siphon produced clearer beer as I moved a lot less trub/yeast across.

I have modified my syphon(cut tubing and inserted a removable end piece), hoping this will allow less nastys into any future brews.
Hopefully clearer brews lie ahead!
If not it still does the job!

Before pouring mine out last night I decided to try a bottle...just in case! It has improved massively in a week, still not a great brew but certainly drinkable! Time is a great healer!

Back