Amarillo Pale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, an Amarillo smash is a wonderful thing.

If you're not hung up on a single malt then the addition of 200g (or 5% of total) carapils into the grist makes a great base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not hung up on a single malt then the addition of 200g (or 5% of total) carapils into the grist makes a great base.

Ok great, I've got some caramels kicking about actually, do you use single amarillo hop? I've got some admiral or challenger i was thinking of using for bittering

I've done both, Amarillo is high enough alpha acid to be used as bittering as well as flavour, but it's expensive so I always thought it a bit wasteful.

Challenger would work well for bittering followed up by a good dose of Amarillo later in the boil.

Let us all know how it turns out!

I've done both, Amarillo is high enough alpha acid to be used as bittering as well as flavour, but it's expensive so I always thought it a bit wasteful.

Challenger would work well for bittering followed up by a good dose of Amarillo later in the boil.

Let us all know how it turns out!

Ok great yeah i will do, is Amarillo similar to mosaic i.e add it at flameout?

Was thinking of adding 28g Challenger 8.5 aa @ 60 mins
Then adding the amarillo (although i haven't got a clue how much, think its 9.7aa)

Done Challenger and Amarillo before:thumb:

do you know what hop additions i was thinking of doing challenger to 30IBUs but unsure how much amarillo to go with its 9.7 aa should i add this at 20 mins or flameout??

Looking at my brew log I added 14g Amarillo at 5 mins and 40g at flame out, this was bittered with nugget to about 35 IBUs. Came out nice.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That's pretty much the malt bill for the Greg Hughes Amarillo Single Hop Ale - 95% Pale, 5% CaraPils. I have a small batch of this fermenting just now, although I plan to dry hop it which the recipe doesn't include. Amarillo 8.1%AA used throughout the whole brew.

so I've got 5kg MO and 250g Carapils.

30g Challenger pellet 8.5aa @60
14g Amarillo pellet 9aa @5 mins
40g Amarillo pellet 9aa @0

Then will dry hop with Amarillo

Using S04

Pale and Amarillo... pretty much the recipe for the "Hunter Foundation Pale Ale" recipe released by Brewdog (No. 88). I did it because it wasn't so outrageously hopped as most of the others (SG50, IBU 35, so still hoppy). Uses "Munich Malt" to compliment the Pale (another reason I chose it - I have no, don't want no, light pale or lager malt).

Still conditioning. The "American Ale" yeast (Safale US-05) seems a bit fluffy, but should settle down. At least it's difficult to confuse with grapefruit juice now (that's the Amarillo?).

so I've got 5kg MO and 250g Carapils.

30g Challenger pellet 8.5aa @60
14g Amarillo pellet 9aa @5 mins
40g Amarillo pellet 9aa @0

Then will dry hop with Amarillo

Using S04
Slightly different, i did challenger and amarillo in an extract and Mmmmm:thumb:
Sounds good

So its been fermenting away for 8 days now, i was going to dry hop with 50g amarillo pellet? Went to dry hop and there is still a crust on top of the wort, shall i wait a bit longer?

Dry hopping about now for 4-5 days before bottling or kegging should be about right but worth taking a quick gravity reading with a hydrometer to check that fermentation has more or less finished.

If its down to somewhere approaching expected Final Gravity I would dry hop, if not would leave a few days and check again.

I made the Amarillo single hop from the Greg Hughes book yesterday. Tasted the OG sample and thought it was a bit bitter! Turns out that rather than the 5% aa hops suggested in the book I was using 8.8% which ended up being 80ibus!
Oh well I will still have beer at the end of it!

Back