vinegar / sour smell?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-J-M

Reaction score
Hi guys, its my fist time brewing wine, so I bought a kit from Wilko which came with a can and additives to make 6 bottles of Rose wine.

Followed the instructions step by step and I'm now onto day 4. I aren't a massive fan of wine, so this will be for the wife :)

When I topped the demijohn up to 4.5 litres last night, I noticed it smelt a bit like vinegar and quite sour. Is this normal as the fermentation is so early on? or could I have made a rookie mistake and ruined the batch?

Hmmm!

The smell of vinegar usually indicates that the brew is infected and therefore "off".

At this time of the year wild yeasts abound, the dreaded fruit fly is present all over the UK and the risk of infection is extremely high.

This is why, at this time of the year, ALL Forum Members double check their sanitisation arrangements if they start a brew; and some even suspend their brewing activities altogether.

However, there is a chance that what you are smelling is the normal aroma of the wine you are brewing so I suggest that you ensure that the air-lock is working properly and DO NOTHING for the next four weeks (even if the air-lock stops "glubbing").

After that, when you remove the air-lock you will know for sure whether you are smelling vinegar or wine!

In the meantime, I suggest that you sanitise EVERYTHING and start a second brew. That way, if the first batch is "off" you will keep SWMBO happy and if it isn't then SWMBO will be doubly happy at your achievements! :thumb: :thumb:

haha SWMBO, never heard that before, brilliant!

The airlock is bubbling like mad so I assume that's a good thing.

According to my kit instructions, I need to leave this for the next 7 days (so fermentation stops) then add the Stabiliser & Finings. swirl around several times for the next 24 hours to remove CO2, move to a cool place for 10 days to condition, then finally bottle.

Would you say to leave this 4 weeks and then start adding Stabiliser, removing CO2 etc.?

There's nothing worse than taking the time and trouble to bottle something and then discover that it's "off".

Assuming that the DJ is sealed (apart from the air-lock) and was properly sanitised before starting the fermentation, leaving the wine for a few more weeks (in a warm dark place) will do no damage, ensure that the fermentation has definitely finished and let you know for sure whether it is "off" or not when you finally open it up.

I left some wine (made from jam) for three months to ferment whilst I was away from home and it's one of the nicest wines I have ever made. :thumb:

I would definitely get the second brew on though! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back