Coopers PET Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer

Reaction score
These seem to get a pretty good review.

Newbie questions!:

Are you limited on how long you can keep your beer in these as opposed to glass bottles?

I've seen comments about squeezing out as much air as possible once they are filled as the secondary fermentation will push out the bottle later. Opinions?

I have had no problems with mine. I have over 100 now, and many have been re-used several times.

The tops are interchangeable with many other bottle tops, so I have many sealed with Pepsi Max or Buxton Water tops, and it makes no difference.

I fill mine right to where the sloping top joins the neck, after adding a carbonation drop, and I believe that gives me a better fizz through higher pressure from the secondary.

I have never had any explosions, but then my beer is rarely in the bottle for more than a few months.

I can't help you much as I've only just started using them, I like the look of them though and am considering getting some more so will be interested in others opinions.
From what I've read they should be good for a few months storage but glass is probably better if intending to keep for say a year. I didn't squeeze the air from mine and looking at the level of carbonation I'm glad I didn't but probably will next time but with slightly more priming sugar.

(For reference I batch primed a 40 pts werry kit using 80 grams of Brown sugar)

I noticed amazon have some alternative pet bottles which you can get 40 of for roughly the same price as 24 of the coopers, does anyone have an opinion on these?

I can't help you much as I've only just started using them, I like the look of them though and am considering getting some more so will be interested in others opinions.
From what I've read they should be good for a few months storage but glass is probably better if intending to keep for say a year. I didn't squeeze the air from mine and looking at the level of carbonation I'm glad I didn't but probably will next time but with slightly more priming sugar.

(For reference I batch primed a 40 pts werry kit using 80 grams of Brown sugar)

I noticed amazon have some alternative pet bottles which you can get 40 of for roughly the same price as 24 of the coopers, does anyone have an opinion on these?

I've got a Wherry kit coming and was considering using some muscovado suagr to prime. Would be interested if it does the job as good as table sugar:thumb:

Just buy cheap supermarket fizzy water and use them,done it for years and I like the fact you can squeeze them when you syphon the beer in them to expel the 02 before screening the cap on

Just buy cheap supermarket fizzy water and use them,done it for years and I like the fact you can squeeze them when you syphon the beer in them to expel the 02 before screening the cap on

A litre at a time, like it :mrgreen:

A litre at a time, like it :mrgreen:
Exactly have currently around 30 litre bottles full from different brews over the last 6 months( I keg BTW) and always bottle a litre or two from each brew so I have got some when the kegs are empty.highly ever likely though .stocking up in case of nuclear war lol

Exactly have currently around 30 litre bottles full from different brews over the last 6 months( I keg BTW) and always bottle a litre or two from each brew so I have got some when the kegs are empty.highly ever likely though .stocking up in case of nuclear war lol

Do you bottle at the same time as kegging or do you keg first then fill a couple of bottles? Can't imagine there's much difference?:-?

Do you bottle at the same time as kegging or do you keg first then fill a couple of bottles? Can't imagine there's much difference?:-?
Because I have a fastferment I bottle right after removing the yeast catch bottle then keg the remaining 19 litres( cornie kegs) then after fridging the yeast catch bottle for a day I decant that into a half litre coca cola pet bottle.no wastage from me,all gets drunk

I use some of these bottles usually without any problems. After a few uses I did have some oxidation issues with a few, but I changed the caps and they've been fine since.

Because I have a fastferment I bottle right after removing the yeast catch bottle then keg the remaining 19 litres( cornie kegs) then after fridging the yeast catch bottle for a day I decant that into a half litre coca cola pet bottle.no wastage from me,all gets drunk

Errr, you lost me totally there mate....I'm a newbie!

Back